Sharing our favorite Mexican rice recipe today! This Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet is a healthy, quick and simple weeknight dinner idea!
Mexican Rice Recipe
If you haven’t had this Mexican rice recipe before you are in for a treat! I am always looking for quick and simple weeknight dinners and this one I developed last week was a huge success. We love Mexican dinners every week and this was a great addition to add to my rotating menu options. You can use a rotisserie chicken to save yourself some time, or if you have time I highly suggest grilling up my Taco Lime Chicken. We used it for this recipe and it was the perfect addition with the spices in the rice. Break out your cast iron skillet and try out this zesty chicken and rice skillet this week! Enjoy friends!
Try my Mexican Rice Salad recipe too! Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration.
Brown Rice Recipes
Start by sautéing some onion and garlic.
Stir in your cooked brown rice.
Black Beans and Rice Recipe
Some chopped green chiles up next along with the black beans.
Sprinkle in some cumin.
Some fresh lime juice.
Easy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Cubed cooked chicken. Try my Taco Lime Chicken, it was soooo good in this recipe.
Top with shredded cheeses and time to bake!
We enjoyed the leftovers all week long for lunch. This one is a keeper!
Serve with some chips and salsa if you’d like 🙂
Chicken and Black Bean Green Chili Rice Skillet
- 2 cups dry brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chilies
- 3/4 cup black beans drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 tsp hot sauce I used Cholula
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and heat cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Cook rice according to packaging directions and set aside. Heat oil in skillet and when hot, add onion and garlic, stirring until softened about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice, green chiles, black beans, cumin, lime juice, chicken and hot sauce.
- Top with cheeses and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board
I boiled my chicken first, then shred it for this recipe, then used the water needed for the recipe from the boiled chicken water to add a bit more chicken flavor. I avoided the oil and just added everything into the pan and cooked it, and didn’t have a problem with anything sticking. I added some potato slices for appetite.Thanks for your sharing!
We love Mexican dinners, too. I tried your guide and my family love it. Thanks
This recipe looks great. I will try it soon. Thank for share !
I love how you arrange the flower in the burlap and how you photographed it.
For the reason that the admin of this web site is working, no hesitation very soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.
What size skillet do you use?
I used a large 12 inch skillet. Hope you enjoy!
I just found this on Pinterest! Have you ever mixed it into a 9×13 dish and froze it? I’m making my freezer meals list and was wondering if anyone successfully tried to that. I swap meals so I’m trying not to experiment with meals I give away 🙂
Hi!! I am making this tonight for dinner – so excited!!! How much is one serving of this? 1 cup? 3/4? Thanks so much!!!!