Anyone else feel like their tivo is on major overdrive?! American Idol Finale, The new Bachelorette Season and So You Think You Can Dance coming soon…..phew I hope I can keep up! Those are some of my very favorites, should be fun.
Stuffed shells are one of life’s greatest pleasures in my humble opinion. I could eat them all the time if my hips could handle them! This is a killer recipe for shells that my whole family loved. For the boys, I cut the shells up a bowl and they thought it was lasagna. Whatever works, right? This recipe feeds a small army, so freeze one batch for later, you’ll be glad you did! Enjoy.
Chorizo and Italian Sausage Stuffed Shells
- 2 boxes jumbo shells
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 lb chorizo
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 26 oz cans whole tomatoes pulsed in food processor until smooth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 2 15 oz containers of Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and set aside. I brush mine with olive oil to keep them from sticking.
- Place chorizo and sausage into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned and crumbled. Drain and return back to skillet. Stir in garlic over medium heat for 1 minute then add in red pepper flakes, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Place olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat. Add in spinach and garlic; cook until wilted down. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in Ricotta, Parmesan, Mozzarella, egg, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup pasta sauce into the bottom of 2 9x13 inch baking dishes. Spoon ricotta filling (about 2 Tablespoons) into each cooked shell then place shells seam side down into baking dishes. I think I filled 2 9x13 inch baking dishes plus a 7x11 inch with this recipe. Top shells evenly with sauce then shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
Up next are some cookies that will knock your socks off! Come back soon, have a great week!