Sharing our favorite homemade chocolate frosting today! This chocolate buttercream goes perfect on your cakes and cupcakes…and even eaten by the spoonfuls! So good!
Homemade Chocolate Frosting
Everyone needs to know how to make a good chocolate frosting! I’ve got just the recipe for you. This simple buttercream recipe is perfect over your cakes and cupcakes!
Ingredients For Chocolate Frosting
- butter– For most of my cooking and baking, I use salted butter. Unsalted is fine too. Add a pinch of kosher salt if using unsalted.
- unsweetened cocoa powder– Find the unsweetened cocoa powder in the baking isle of your grocery store.
- milk– 2% milk works great here. High fat is best.
- pure vanilla extract– Pure vanilla extract ensures the best tasting results. Make sure your vanilla bottle says “pure.”
- powdered sugar– Also referred to as confectioners sugar.
How To Make Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- To prepare frosting place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until melted then add cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium-large mixing bowl. Let chocolate cool for 10 minutes. When cooled slightly, add milk/vanilla and powdered sugar, alternating until all is used or frosting is to your desired conistency.
Use your favorite small saucepan to melt your butter and cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Only takes a minute or two.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Transfer the chocolate to a large mixing bowl to cool for 5-10 minutes.
I like to use my electric mixer when making frosting, you can use a whisk and do it by hand as well. You can also use your stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
From here, you will add a little powdered sugar, mix, then add the milk….keep alternating.
Continue alternating until ingredients have been used or consistency is right.
Chocolate frosting perfection!
Use this creamy chocolate frosting on your favorite cakes, cupcakes, cookies….you name it, it’s delicious on top or sandwiched between.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Best re-served when brought to room temperature.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 1 stick butter salted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- To prepare frosting place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until melted then add cocoa powder. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium-large mixing bowl. Let chocolate cool for 10 minutes. When cooled slightly, add milk/vanilla and powdered sugar, alternating until all is used or frosting is to your desired conistency. Frost over cooled brownies then top with mini M&M’s. Serve room temperature.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board