This easy creamed corn recipe makes the perfect Thanksgiving side dish! In fact this simple dish is such a hit with my family that we enjoy it all year round!
Table of Contents
Homemade Creamed Corn
With the Holidays approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to feature some of my favorite side dish recipes that are great for your Holiday dinner tables as well as any weeknight dinner side dish. Simple and perfectly delicious.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It takes just minutes to prepare!
- This corn recipe makes the perfect side dish to about any dinner.
- This recipe is also perfect for Thanksgiving!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make creamed corn. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- extra virgin olive oil- You’ll use the oil to saute the onion and garlic.
- salted butter– For most of my recipes I use salted butter, unsalted works just fine too.
- white onion– Make sure to finely chop your onion.
- minced garlic– You can use fresh garlic or the jar of minced garlic sold at the grocery store. Often times, you can find it in the produce section.
- corn, drained from can– Use your favorite brand of canned corn.
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a coarse salt commonly used in cooking and baking.
- freshly ground black pepper– For best tasting results use freshly ground black pepper.
- Lawry’s Garlic Salt– I try to get Lawry’s when shopping for garlic salt.
- cream cheese– Use full fat cream cheese for this recipe.
- fresh Parmesan Cheese– For best tasting results use fresh Parmesan found in the refrigerated section.
- granulated sugar– Just a little sugar is added to sweeten the corn slightly.
- fresh parsley– Fresh chopped parsley adds color and freshness to the corn.
How To Make Creamed Corn
Melt Butter and Heat Oil. Place oil and butter into a large rimmed skillet or pot over medium heat.
Saute Onion and Garlic. When hot, saute onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add Corn and Seasonings. Stir in corn, salt, pepper and garlic salt stirring to combine.
Melt Cream Cheese. Add cream cheese, stir until melted and creamy. Stir in Parmesan Cheese and sugar, stirring to combine.
Add Fresh Parsley. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve warm.
Can I Use Fresh Or Frozen Corn?
Yes, fresh kernels cut from the cob as well as frozen corn works just fine. 6 cups of your favorite variety of corn kernels.
Can I Use Low-Fat Cream Cheese?
For this recipe, I suggest not using a reduced fat cream cheese. The regular cream cheese helps make this creamed corn ultra creamy with the right consistency.
Can I Substitute The Parmesan Cheese?
You can substitute with shredded Mozzarella, Romano or even Cheddar Cheese in place of the Parmesan Cheese if you’d like.
Tips For Making Cream Cheese Corn
- Use full-fat cream cheese, don’t use low-fat.
- When sautéing the onion and garlic, add diced red and green bell peppers for a more colorful creamed corn.
- Add chicken, beef or sausage for another variety.
How To Serve
Serve creamed corn alongside your favorite protein. It’s great with chicken, beef, turkey and seafood. This creamed corn recipe is the perfect simple side dish for your Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners too.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat as needed.
Try More Corn Recipes!
How To Make Creamed Corn | Cream Cheese Corn
- Dutch Oven
- cutting board
- chef knife
- can opener
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 4 15.25 ounce and whole kernel corn drained, about 6 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt Lawry’s
- 3 ounces cream cheese full fat
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place oil and butter into a large rimmed skillet or pot over medium heat. When hot, saute onion for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add corn, salt, pepper and garlic salt stirring to combine. Add cream cheese, stir until melted and creamy. Stir in Parmesan Cheese and sugar, stirring to combine. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve warm.