This Fourth of July, try this fresh and easy recipe for Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad filled with juicy mango, fennel, and sweet caramelized onions. The perfect BBQ side dish!
With 4th of July just around the corner, I had to share this new pasta salad I made tonight that was too good to keep to myself!
The caramelized onions and fennel take this salad to a whole new level.It really gives a nice flavor, don’t be afraid of the fennel. When it is sautéed it has a very mild taste and gives the dish a little something extra. As I was finishing up the pasta, I noticed I had some mangos in the fridge, so tossed them in and talk about a great combo.The sweet and savory flavors really work great in this salad.
I got all my veggis at that farmers market I was talking about in a previous post, so this salad was really inexpensive.I seriously got 4 mangos for $1 and bell peppers for .30 cents each.Love it!
And if you don’t feel like grilling your own chicken, grab a bag of Tyson precooked/grilled chicken in the freezer section of your grocer or Costco. That’s actually what I used tonight and it was just fine. No one will ever know!
Hope everyone has a great 4th!We’re heading to Anthem tomorrow night for their big Firework Bash.I need to get one of those personal mister fans, it’s going to be a hot one!
Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad with Caramelized Onion, Fennel and Mango
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup onion, finely chopped
½ lb campanelle pasta noodles
¼ Cup finely chopped fennel (if you don’t have it, just use additional onion)
2 Cups grilled chicken breast, cubed
1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
1 ½ Cups quartered zucchini
3 Cups broccoli florets
2 mangos, peeled and cubed
½ bottle Kraft Tuscan House Italian Dressing or Zesty Italian, 16 fl oz size
Couple pinches kosher salt
1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and fennel for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook until golden. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and place into a large bowl with the onions/fennel. Toss in rest of ingredients, gently stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Thanks so much to Susan from She’s Becoming Dough Messtic blog for the Arte y Pico Award! I love my food bloggin’ friends!!
Mango and Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 lb campanelle pasta
- 1/4 cup fennel finely chopped (if you don’t have fennel, just use additional onion)
- 2 cups grilled chicken breast cubed
- 1 red bell pepper or orange, diced
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini quartered
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 mangos peeled and cubed
- 8 oz Italian dressing (½ bottle Kraft Tuscan House Italian Dressing or Zesty Italian, 16 fl oz size)
- Couple pinches Kosher salt
- Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and fennel for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook until golden. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and place into a large bowl with the onions/fennel. Toss in rest of ingredients, gently stirring to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.