This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is tasty, hearty and full of amazing flavors. Plus, it’s so easy to make in your crock pot!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
I go in these crazy crockpot soups recipes where I use it all the time and I am loving it right now. Last week I whipped up a giant pot of my Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup. It’s warm, thick and complete comfort food in a bowl. Slow Cooker Soup Recipes are so great this time of year.
If you are having guests over, this is a great recipe to have. It serves 12-16 and makes the best leftovers. I enjoyed it for lunch for a few days and was happy as a clam 🙂
You can easily split the recipe if you don’t need to make such a massive amount, but I’ll warn you, it’s incredibly delicious and you’ll want the leftovers.
Let’s take a look at what you’ll need.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Here’s what you’ll need. Remove one of those chicken broth cartons. I only used one and the cheese and cilantro are just for garnishing, so you won’t need as much in the picture 🙂
How to Make The Best Chicken Soup
Dice a large onion.
Cook them in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add some garlic.
Transfer right to a LARGE crock pot. I’m talking at least a 5 quart.
I used one whole rotisserie chicken for this recipe. Discard the skin then shred the meat. It’s about 4 cups if you want to bake your own chicken.
Transfer the chicken pieces to the crock pot.
Add your chicken broth, 32 ounces please.
Pour in two 28 ounce size cans of green enchilada sauce and two 10 ounce size Rotel diced tomatoes. Make sure both say MILD on the can.
I added two packages of cooked Spanish rice. It thickened the soup so nicely, I definitely recommend it. I used the Knorr Brand, but any of your favorite Spanish Rice will do. If you’d like to make your own, use 4 cups. I have a great Homemade Spanish Rice recipe HERE if you need one. Scroll down past the tacos and you’ll see it.
Add a good handful of cumin and 8 ounces of sour cream. Stir and let cook on low for 4-8 hours.
Tips For Making Crock Pot Soups
*Use Rotisserie chicken when possible. Saves lots of prep time.
*I also like to purchase pre-chopped vegetables in the produce section to save even more time.
*Serve soup with a nice green salad and crusty bread if desired.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 rotisserie chicken about 4 cups shredded (no skin)
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- Two 28 ounce cans mild green enchilada sauce
- Two 10 ounce cans Mild Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers
- 4 cups cooked spanish rice I used 2 packages of Knorr Fiesta Rice
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves for topping
- 1 bag tortilla chips for topping
- Heat oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Transfer to a large 5 quart minimum crock pot with setting on low.
- Add shredded chicken to crock pot along with chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, rice, cumin and sour cream. Stir and let cook on low for 4-6 hours