Mar
2008

Cheesy Baked Mexi-Rigatoni

Tags: ,

Dinner

Hope everyone had a fantastic Easter with their family. We really had wonderful Easter, it’s so nice to have all of our family here. I loved watching the boys wake-up to find their baskets the Easter Bunny left for them. The look on their faces is priceless!

Last week, during spring break, we had my cute little niece spend the night with us and the boys just love her. She is 10 and is so good with my rowdy youngsters! She wanted to help make dinner with me and this is what we came up with. The kids love pasta, so we thought we’d kick it up Mexican style. Nothing fancy tonight, just good! This is a nice easy dinner to have your pre-teens/teens make for the family.

All of you gourmet cooks will be cringing that there is canned soup in this dish. I like it in dishes like this, it gave the sauce a great flavor. Quick and Easy was our goal for the night and it turned out soooo tasty too. The fire roasted tomatoes make for a delicious sauce.

I love my little All Clad Oval Bakers, they are perfect for individual servings. I found these at Marshalls a couple of years ago on clearance, they are great. Check them out if you’d like. Hope your family enjoys!

Cheesy Baked Mexi-Rigatoni

1 lb dry Rigatoni pasta or any other pasta of choice
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 Anaheim green chili’s finely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
1 can cheddar cheese soup
½ Cup milk or half and half
1 Cup sour cream
2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
Heaping ½ Cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves (add more if you love cilantro)
2 Cups Mexican blend shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions, making sure it’s not overcooked. Drain and set aside.

2. Place olive oil into a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Saute onions and chilies until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt; cook and crumble until browned. Stir in soup, milk, sour cream and tomatoes. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cilantro and cooked pasta.

3. Pour mixture into a large 9 x 13 inch baking dish or individual size baking dishes of choice, see my link above. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.

Thanks Beth from Our Sweet Life for the Award. Food Bloggers are so great!!

Comments

PheMom says:

This looks so good to me. I completely agree, that sometimes when you are just trying to get a good dinner on the table, shortcuts are ok. I didn’t used to think that way, but motherhood has brought me around. A good meal in short time is better than a gourmet meal and screaming, hungry children!

Nash says:

Looks really YUMMY! You are becoming way too popular. =) I am seeing you on so many blogs. Someday you won’t even remember who I am. (long lost hs friend) wahhhhhH! How grateful I am to know you though, such awesome recipes. My SIL’s are using yours too.

Phemom,
    Isn’t that the truth! Our children have a way of humbling us in the kitchen!

Shanda,
    You are so funny! I could never forget my CJH and WHS cheer buddy! We go way back. Hard to believe we’ve been out of HS for so long. Sometimes I feel like I just graduated!

Deborah says:

Your little bakers are so cute!!

About the canned soup – I think it is totally ok to use it. Everyone needs a shortcut from time to time. I actually have a ton of cans in my pantry that need to be used, so I might have to make this to use some of them up!

Steph says:

This sounds amazing! Right up my alley! I actually use canned soup all the time…I need shortcuts because I usually have 2 little rowdy kids at my feet while cooking dinner! It’s a time saver! Great recipe!

rvan says:

Who says you can’t use canned soup!!! Some of my favorite recipes in the whole world are made with cream of chicken soup, why not make life a little bit easier? We are busy people are we not? This looks great, by the way I loved your thin mint cheesecake bites! Made them for Easter, and thought I might try it out with captain crunch or pretzels for a crust too! Thanks for always sharing your talents..

Emiline says:

The rigatoni looks delish! I like the little pans, too. Sometimes I use ramekins for individual portions, but they’re really too small for entrees. I need to go to Marshalls.

Saw your coffee cake on Tastespotting.

Hi Deborah,
    Glad to hear I’m not the only one who still uses canned soup in recipes. I enjoy it from time to time. It reminds me of recipes my mom made when I was growing up!

Hi Steph,
    My kitchen is usually a race track for my boys when I am cooking dinner. It gets nuts! I agree, it’s nice to have short cuts sometime!

Rvan,
    Glad you enjoyed the little cheesecakes. Great idea with using different ingredients as the crust. Let me know if you use the captain crunch, I bet it’s delicious!!

Hi Emiline,
    I find so many little kitchen treasures at this Marshalls by my house. I’ll cross my fingers for you to find some goodies there!
    It’s always fun to see if Tastespotting showcases your stuff. You just never know.

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Canned soup rocks! Cream of mushroom fixes just about anything, in my book! My kids would have starved or run around from home without it!
    This looks so good and cheesy…I’m sending it to my daughter who is taking more interest in cooking (“Mom..how do you know when salmon is done???”)

Kevin says:

That looks tasty. Baked pasta with melted cheese is always a winner.

Patsyk says:

First off… those pans are adorable! I am always on the lookout for things like that when I am out shopping.

I love how cheesey this dish looks. Shortcuts are necessary some nights, and often the right one will make the dish!

Beth G. says:

YUM! Another FABULOUS dinner idea!! Thanks for all the inspiration, and for “Making My Day!” :O)

Shirley says:

This looks sooo good to me. So, what’s a can of soup between friends. I try to stay away from canned soup because of the extra sodium, but sometimes, it makes the dish.

Cara says:

Wow that looks awesome.

Kandi says:

What a fun thing to make with your niece. She must adore you.

Zen Chef says:

This looks fantastic! I’m hungry and i have nothing that looks that good around. ummm! Life can be so unfair sometimes. :-)

CuisineMadeEasy says:

Okay – I just found your blog and my mouth waters with every recipe I see. And I’m not even hungry. These are awesome recipes

Nicole says:

I would really like to try this recipe, only problem is my husband can not stand the taste of sour cream, do you have any suggestions for a substitute?

Nicole says:

Finally was able to make this, Delicious!! I made it with the extra 1/2 c milk as you suggested. Also my husband picked up one can of regular fire roasted tomatoes and one can of Tex Mex style fire roasted tomatoes, which already has anaheim peppers. Very good, a lot of flavor and not too spicy! Thank you so much:)

[...] Cheesy  Baked Mexi-Rigatoni (click for recipe). [...]

Brandy says:

Made this tonight and everyone LOVED it! Will definitely make again. Only thing i did different, is i bought diced canned tomatoes that already had green chilies in it. Saved a step and it still tasted great!

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site. He was once totally right. This publish actually made my day. You can not believe just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

[...] haven’t really started on my savory cooking goal. Until tonight that is! Tonight I made this Cheesy Baked Mexi-Rigatoni from Picky Palate. It’s basically a Mexican style mac and [...]