Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Dec
2008

15 Minute Warm and Hearty Taco Soup

Tags: , ,

Dinner

Good Sunday afternoon everyone. What a crazy weekend it’s been around here. On top of getting ready for our big move to CA, we had 2 separate family Christmas parties on my husband’s side. We played 2 intense games of white elephant and ate until we all busted. It was awesome! I posted some pics of our festivities at the end of this post.

My cooking time has been pretty much shot down right now, but I did manage to make a big pot of good ol’ Taco Soup that the family loves. It is hearty, warm and delicious. Our favorite way to enjoy it is with a handful of greasy Frito’s tossed right on top. The best part is, dinner is done in a whopping 15 minutes! Sweet, now that’s my kind of dinner these days.

Take a peek and enjoy!

15 Minute Warm and Hearty Taco Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 green bell pepper

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb lean ground beef

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

2 15 oz cans chicken broth

1 oz pkg Lawry’s taco seasoning (or 2Tablespoons of your own taco seasoning mix)

1 oz pkg dry Ranch Dressing Mix

2 10 oz cans rotel mild tomatoes

4 oz can diced green chilies

1lb can or frozen corn, drained

15 oz can black beans, drained

15 oz can red kidney beans, drained

15 oz can white beans, drained

Garnish With:

Sour Cream

Frito’s

Cilantro leaves

1. Place oil into a large 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add beef, salt and pepper; cook until brown and crumbled. Add remaining ingredients until well combined. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Top with sour cream,Frito’s and cilantro leaves if desired.

8 large servings

_________________________________________

Christmas Party Weekend

We had a fun white elephant game with the kids then the adults. I think my little guy was happy with his Pirate set!

My other little guy got some cool holiday scratch and sniff books. They were adorable.

Did I mention he liked his pirate set?

The highlight of the party for the kids was definitely the homemade root beer.

Here’s the crew we partied with Saturday night. I really married into an awesome family. We always have a great time. I’m the one to the right in the white dress, with the two little boys by my side and hubby is right above me wishing I didn’t wear my “hot” boots! I have to give him a hard time because he’s not a boot fan. Unfortunately I am!

Have a great week everyone. I actually had some time to cook and bake last week, so more new posts to come soon!

Comments

Patsyk says:

That soup sounds wonderful! Sounds like you had quite a busy time, but lots of fun!

Lisa says:

What fun! I love making quick soups. I am looking forward to your baking posts.

Emily says:

I love boots, too! I’ve been wearing them everywhere I go. I found some on sale the other day for $20, and I bought them. Unfortunately they are a size 6. Heh. So my feet are crammed in there.

The gift exchange looks like fun. I didn’t know it was called white elephant. My friend was talking about white elephant the other day, and I didn’t know what he was talking out.

The soup looks delicious! I love greasy Fritos.

Barbara Bakes says:

Sounds like a great, easy recipe! Good luck with the move.

Mary Ann says:

What a fun party- it looks like you really did marry into a great bunch! I love taco soup and so do my kids. I would love to see what all those great seasonings do for this soup. Great take on a family favorite. I hope you have a great week, Jenny!
    p.s. your boots are totally cute!

CookiePie says:

What a fun party!!! And that soup looks really fabulous :)

Sara says:

This soup sounds awesome! You’re recipes are always so good.

carol says:

Jenny, you must be up to your eyeballs in chaos with the move and all….the 15 minute soup looks YUMMY! It’s definitely soup weather here in New England so I’m always looking for new recipes-we love Mexican so yours will be a must try!
    It looks like a fun time was had by all at the family Christmas party too!!!

Barbara says:

Jenny, I love the boots! Also the soup looks great especially if you add Fritos to it.

Leslie says:

I Love ANY soup w/ fritos!! YUMMO!
    Love the boots girl!!!
    You gotta love White elephant! It can get ruthless!!

Meg says:

I love taco soup! Looks like a fun party. Thanks for sharing!

We Are Not Martha says:

15 minutes and it looks delicious! Glad you had a fun Christmas party with your in-laws!

Sues

Bunny says:

Any dinner that only takes 15 minutes to cook and is fantastic is a good recipe to me! It looks like you had a great time at the party!

Bob says:

That soup looks wicked good, I bet the Fritos give it some great texture!

Heh, I also love boots, but in a dude way. I wear either combat boots or Dr Martens all the time. I actually haven’t worn sneakers since I was in jr high.

Pam says:

What a tasty soup. I love that it’s so quick and easy.

The white elephant party looks great.

Sharon says:

How can hubby not be a boot fan?! Your legs look great! :)

15 minutes for dinner sounds wonderful to me. We all need those quick meals every now and again (to keep our sanity!)

The Snell Family says:

Looks like you guys had an awesome weekend!! Totally loving the “hot” boots!! Where did you get your dress…I can never seem to find something thats adorable and to cover my garments :):)

Sew Infertile says:

I love your blog. I have stolen so many recipes! :) I am not being sarcastic as I ask you this question, I promise, but do you eat the food you make? I am wondering how you stay so skinny. :)

Katherine Aucoin says:

I like that you used corn chips. Your soup looks so yummy; a perfect cold weather treat. I’m looking forward to your baking posts.

Mary says:

I love the pictures of your boys and a recipe for a quick soup is always nice to have. It’s hard to beat a 15 minute dinner.

Dawn says:

You know there are nights when I need a 15 minute creation, and it has to be something a fussy hubby can eat. This is something I will hold on to for just one of those nights. And who doesn’t love greasy Fritos? I love them

A classic! We always make a similar version of this!

The Blonde Duck says:

Looks great to me! I love anything with fritos.

Libby says:

That looks so yummy! I’ll have to make that this week.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the family picture was, “Cute boots!” You look fabulous! Good luck on your move.

Jenna says:

we had soup last night too. i had extra quinoa, so tossed that in with fresh herbs and one carrot, some celery and a can of diced tomatoes, served it with cheesy toast. your boys are adorable! mine are a little younger, but i LOVE being mama to two boys.

Allie says:

You’re super woman in my eyes! I thought I didn’t have time, but you’re trying to move and you have 2 kids to keep up with so I admire you for finding time! I love a quick soup so this is gonna get added to my favorites.

Little Ken says:

Even though you caught someone yawning in a couple pictures, it really was fun! ;)

I love taco soup and can’t wait to try it with ranch seasoning in it.

priscilla says:

mm, what yummy looking soup. your little guys are so cute Jenny. i think they look identical to your husband. and i LOVE your boots and your dress…so cute!

inland empire restaurant and food reviews says:

Great idea for a soup!!!

That Girl says:

This sounds amazing for a 15 minute soup.

Snooky doodle says:

The soup looks so comforting ideal in this cold. The kids are so cute :)

Amanda says:

Hey! Where did you get your boots??! I am on the hunt for some almost exactly like that!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Soup looks awesome!!! There’s something about the Fritos on top that’s making me salivate. And you look awesome – I love that look a whole bunch. That would be my look if I could get my butt to the store to actually shop for myself. Love the boots!!!!! Good luck with all that you have going on.

Deborah says:

Delicious soup!! And I’m a boot fan, and luckily my husband is too. Although I can’t fit my big, fat pregnant feet into any of them right now…

Candy says:

I love quick and easy. I can’t believe you have time to do anything with the move!

Steph says:

My husband gives me all kinds of trouble when I where my boots, but I still wear them proudly! Love em! The soup looks amazing and so perfect for our freezing weather here!

Katie's blog says:

That is so funny about the boots! My husband doens’t like my new boots. Love the soup – sounds like you are busy, but happy!

Jaime says:

thanks for another awesome recipe. i can’t wait to try this one out. Love the pics of your family get together, looks like so much fun.

Elra says:

What a great party! Everybody look very happy and enjoying the party.
    Soup sounds very delicious as well, especially it only takes 15 minutes to make it.
    Good luck with the move to CA, hope you’ll like our state!
    Cheers,
    Elra

Luke & Shawnie says:

ok I am a daily blog stalker…I LOVE your recipes. I was just looking at your christmas party pictures and saw Bup& Bridget in your pictures! I love them! I grew up with Bups family and now am related through marraige. Small world!

The Nielsens says:

I actually had all of these ingredients in my kitchen, so I whipped it up last night for dinner and LOVED it. My husband is not a soup-lover and he went back for more. Thanks for a great recipe.

Mags says:

hope this isn’t too odd, but i have searched EVERYWHERE for a great pair of boots, and love yours! can i ask where you got them?

The Bahens says:

I made your taco soup for dinner last night, and it was indeed quick and delicious! I left out the green bell pepper (because I hate it!) and used regular diced tomatoes instead of ro-tel. Other than that, I followed your recipe exactly. We’re adding it to our weekly rotation! Thanks!

Becca says:

Hi Jenny! I am putting this on my to-make list for next week’s dinner. Love your blog!!!

Monica says:

I love, love, love this soup. I made it tonight for the second time and it was a hit. My 3 1/2 yr old ate his whole bowl with out having to be told, eat your food, eat your food, eat your food.
    I love your site. I have used several recipes and they all turned out good. Thanks for sharing!

Brenda Parsons says:

recipes looks soo yummo!!

[...] 15 Minute Warm and Hearty Taco Soup    Another easy and yummy Fall [...]

Sylvia says:

I found you on Pinterest and the recipe was for the hershey’s kisses and pie crust, Kiss Pies. I went on to your site and it was fabulous!!!! You are fabulous and a beautiful girl. Thank you for all you recipes, you wonderful website and all your creativitity. Merry Christmas and keep up the good work. I have some very picky palates and you saved me. Sylvia Clark

[...] Chestnut Soup Cookin Canuck – Chicken Sausage, Roasted Pepper & Whole Wheat Orzo Soup Picky Palate – 15 Minute Warm and Hearty Taco Soup Recipe Girl – Butternut Squash and Kale Soup with Fresh Herbs and White [...]

I made this soup and my whole house ate it up! I liked the chips on top, it added a nice crunch to it. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!