This easy taco soup recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and feeding a crowd! Taco soup is a flavor packed Mexican style soup prepared in just minutes! It’s perfect topped with your favorite taco toppings. We love serving our soup with a side of warm quesadillas too!
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
This taco soup has been a classic recipe on Picky Palate since 2008! So simple to whip up if you are in need of a quick fix dinner. I also love serving taco soup when I’m feeding a crowd. it goes a long way with your favorite toppings added to each bowl. Hope you enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This taco soup recipe takes just minutes to prepare.
- It’s perfect for feeding a large group!
- There are many topping ideas so there’s something for everyone!
- It’s great for back to school, Fall and Sunday dinners!
What You’ll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy taco soup recipe at home. See the recipe card located at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- extra virgin olive oil– The olive oil is used to saute the vegetables.
- onion– Finely chop the onion before sauteeing.
- garlic– Mince your own fresh garlic or use the minced garlic in the jar that’s available in the produce section of the grocery store.
- lean ground beef- 80% lean or higher works best. Less fat to drain.
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a coarse salt commonly used in cooking and baking.
- black pepper– For best tasting results use freshly cracked black pepper.
- chicken broth– Look for reduced sodium chicken broth for the soup.
- black beans– Wash and drain the black beans before adding to the soup.
- kidney beans– Wash and drain the kidney beans before adding to soup.
- white beans or garbanzo beans– Drain and wash the white beans before adding to soup.
- Rotel mild diced tomatoes– Rotel comes in mild and original which is pretty spicy. I prefer the mild tomatoes.
- corn– Drain can of corn before adding to soup.
- Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix– Find the Ranch Dressing Seasoning mix in the salad dressing section of the grocery store.
- ground cumin– Ground cumin adds a nice smoky flavor to the soup.
- Toppings– Sour cream shredded cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro leaves to name some.
How To Make Taco Soup
Add Olive Oil To Large Pot. Place oil into a large 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat.
Cook Onions and Garlic. Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until onions are softened.
Brown Ground Beef. Add ground beef, salt and pepper; cook until brown and crumbled.
Add Taco Soup Ingredients. Stir in chicken broth, cumin, Ranch Dressing mix, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans and white beans, stirring to combine. Simmer on low until ready to serve.
Season. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Garnish. Top each bowl with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro leaves if desired.
Can I Make This a Crockpot Taco Soup?
Yes, saute the onion and garlic on the stovetop and brown the beef. Transfer the cooked beef mixture to crockpot and add remaining ingredients (minus toppings). Close crockpot lid and let cook on low for 3-6 hours until ready to serve.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Use a lean ground beef for the soup. I rarely have to drain my lean ground beef.
- You can substitute the meat in the recipe or even omit it for a vegetarian version.
- If you have other vegetables in the refrigerator that need using, add them to the soup too. We love adding diced zucchini and other peppers too.
- Simmer the soup a good hour before serving to really incorporate the flavors.
How To Serve Easy Taco Soup
I like to set up an area with bowls of toppings for my guests. I’ll have a big bowl of tortilla chips for crushing into bowls, shredded cheese, sour cream and cilantro leaves to name a few. Other topping ideas could be chopped green onion, salsa, crumbled bacon too.
How To Store Leftovers
Refrigerate. Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Reheating Instructions. Reheat soup in a heat proof bowl, covered in the microwave for 60 seconds, or until hot.
Can I Freeze Taco Soup?
Yes, place soup into an airtight container and freeze up to 3 months. Thaw soup before re-heating.
You Might Also Like
Quick Fix Taco Soup Recipe
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- chef knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoon
- strainer for beans and corn if needed
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mined garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ounce pkg dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 2 10 ounce cans rotel mild tomatoes
- 15 ounce can corn drained
- 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans drained
- 15 ounce can white beans drained
- Place oil into a large 5 qt dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until onions are softened. Add ground beef, salt and pepper; cook until brown and crumbled. Add chicken broth, cumin, Ranch Dressing mix, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans and white beans, stirring to combine. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Top each bowl with sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese and cilantro leaves if desired.