May
2010

Layered Mexican Chicken Rice Bake

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Dinner

Good Monday morning to everyone :)  Can anyone else believe it’s almost the end of the school year!  Summer is going to be here before we know it.

I’ve got a great weeknight recipe for you today.  Lots of delicious Mexican flavors, we really enjoyed this one last week!  I took lots of pics, so I’ll let my photos do the talking……

Heat your olive oil into a large skillet….

Pour your veggi’s in!  I used onion, anaheim pepper and sweet peppers to start.

Saute for about 5 minutes…..

Then stir in your minced garlic…

Stir in 4 Cups cooked steamed rice…

Break out the cumin….

Sprinkle into rice…..lots of it!

Add your kosher salt and pepper…

Use any shredded chicken breast you would like.  I was having a lazy night, so yes, I used my canned Costco chicken :)

Here’s what I seasoned the chicken layer with…Lawry’s, ranch dry seasoning and some salsa, yum!

Let the layering begin..start with the corn, then the beans, the cilantro, the chicken then top with cheese and Bake!!

Delish!!

Layered Mexican Chicken Rice Bake

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium white onion, finely chopped

1 anaheim chili pepper (it’s mild), finely diced

1 1/2 Cups chopped sweet peppers

1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic

4 Cups cooked/steamed rice

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

2 Cups shredded chicken breast

1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s Garlic Salt

1/2 teaspoon dry Ranch Dressing Seasoning

1/2 Cup prepared Salsa (I used Herdez, mild)

1  can corn, drained

1 can red kidney beans (or any bean of choice), drained

1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion and peppers for about 5 minutes or until softened.  Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.  Stir in cooked rice, season with cumin and reduce heat to low.  Transfer mixed rice to a 9×13 inch baking dish.

2.  Place chicken breast into a medium skillet over medium heat.  Season with Lawry’s, ranch seasoning and salsa; mix and reduce heat to low.  Pour corn over rice.  Next layer the beans, cilantro, chicken and top with cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

3.  Serve with hot sauce if desired :)

8 servings

________________________________

Have a great new week!  Come back soon for a new cookie that is going to knock your socks off!  :)

Comments

Mmm this is gonna be dinner one night this week. We love Mexican!

I love mexican, this looks great! Thanks!

This looks really good!

Michele says:

Wow, that’s my kind of meal. It look super easy and delicious. I”ll be making this soon.

carrian says:

That looks like the perfect meal for tonight. I just have way too much to do to worry about dinner!

Love your step by step photos! Great flavor in this dish too!

Oh this looks delicious! Definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks! :)

What a great chicken recipe! My husband would love this dish!

Heather says:

Thanks for the inspiration. I am making a variation of this for dinner,based on what I have in my pantry and fridge, of course. Also adding some crushed up bottom of the bag tortilla chips as a topping.

Katherine says:

This looks wonderful! Good home-cooked mexican, great recipe!

Making this tonight. Looks delicious, quick, and simple. I think it’s going to be a winner.

Tracy says:

Looks yummy! Love the colors!

Now I have a reason to buy the chicken in the can. I am always at costco and pass by it wondering how I would use it. Your recipe looks soooooo delicious!!!!

maggy says:

This looks absolutely delicious! I would love this for dinner.

Julie says:

Sounds like an amazing dish, love it!

Fuji Mama says:

I LOVE Mexican food, so you automatically had my ears perking up with this one!

Jessica Lee says:

I just found your blog. You have RIDICULOUSLY amazing recipes!

What a fresh and pretty dish (not to mention easy)!

kristen says:

YUM! This looks fabulous, my mouth is watering! It looks SO good I had to share your link on my blog.

Carole says:

Yay! So glad I stumbled across your blog!! Made this for dinner tonight and now I’m bummed because I have to leave for a meeting. Tasted it and its sooooo yummy! Thanks for sharing! I’ll be wading through your backlog of recipes with glee now. :)

Amanda says:

I adore anything Mexican, this looks marvelous!

ivoryhut says:

My goodness, that just looks like it’s exploding with flavor! And of course, anything with rice gets my attention. :)

David says:

I was looking for a new mexican recipe to try out and this one looks perfect. I think I’ll make it this weekend for Memorial Day and report back how well everyone enjoyed it.

Tricia says:

This dinner was so yummy!! The whole family loved it. I used black beans and canned chili’s instead of the anaheims. We had it the next night as a burrito filling. I chopped up a mango to add inside and it was DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the great recipes.

jenny says:

This looks really good! I’m glad I came across your blog, the recipes all look so yummy!

[...] BBQ Tuesday: Taco Soup w/ Chips Wednesday: Spaghetti w/ broccoli Thursday: Chicken Pot Pie Friday: Chicken Rice Bake Saturday: Out Goals: Listen to Conference talks, Go to bed earlier/wake up earlier, Be [...]

Thank you for the huge review, but I m really love the new Zune, and i wish this, as well as the bad reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it s the right choice for you.

[...] Layered Mexican Chicken Rice Bake (click for recipe) [...]

whywait4life says:

We made this tonight. My family gave it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. That’s really high for my family. My hubby says he could use a little more spice but otherwise no changes. We did follow the recipe as written. Next time maybe I’ll use chili beans and hot salsa. This recipe is amazing on it’s own.