Apr
2011

Chicken and Black Bean Green Enchilada Rice Bake

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

Simple dinners are a must during the busy weeknights, so I developed this speedy chicken and black bean green enchilada rice bake. Try saying that 3 times fast! Lol :) Check your pantry, chances are you will have just about everything to make this for dinner tonight without going to the grocery store.

Next time you bake or crock pot chicken breast, do yourself a favor and make double the amount and freeze half for another dinner. You’ll be so glad you did.

Make sure you check out my Creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Tart that I developed for Kraft!

Take a peek at how quick dinner will be with my simple recipe, hope you enjoy!!

Here’s your line-up of ingredients…left: rice, olives, green enchilada sauce, chicken, tomatoes, black beans, cumin, sour cream and cheese.

Place your chicken into a large bowl and add the green enchilada sauce.

Add your sliced olives and diced tomatoes.

Add 1/2 Cup sour cream.

A little salt and pepper.

McCormick Gourmet has an incredible Roasted Cumin you must try. Love it in my Mexican recipes.

Give it a good mix!

Place your rice into a 9×13-inch baking dish.

Add your black beans over your rice.

Pour the chicken mixture over beans then top evenly with cheese. Time to bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.

It really is as good as it looks :) Enjoy!

Chicken and Black Bean Green Enchilada Rice Bake

2 cups white long grain rice

2 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast

One 15-ounce can mild green enchilada sauce

One 4-ounce can sliced black olives

One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Roasted Ground Cumin

One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Cook rice according to package directions.

3. Place chicken, enchilada sauce, olives, tomatoes, sour cream, salt, pepper and cumin into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Pour cooked rice into prepared baking dish and layer beans on top of rice. Pour chicken mixture over rice and top evenly with cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cheese is melted and rice is hot.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

____________________________________

*Disclaimer: I am part of the McCormick Real Gourmet Blogger Program and am being
compensated however the thoughts and recipe are my very own.

Have a great rest of your week! Come back soon!

Comments

EatLiveRun says:

This looks super comforting and delicious. I love casseroles like that!

Gotta love these easy dinner ideas!

I love chicken and mexican flavors, and thanks for the tip about cooking and then freezing the chicken, I will definitely be trying it!

Nicole says:

This looks delicious *prints & saves to recipe collection* & let me just say thank you again for that smoky mashed potatoes recipe. I used it for Easter & it was a huge hit. So yummy! Thanks!

I CAN NOT WAIT to make this!! Looks beyond delicious.

I love doing casseroles and this loks like the next one I make. Great pictures

This looks delicious and so easy!! I love casseroles!

Looks so yummy! Being so easy is a huge plus. This looks like a perfect meal for Cinco de Mayo!

This looks like a perfect dish to make on Sunday and then have all week in a pinch, to bring for lunch, or to schedule a quick dinner! Love all of these flavors!

Caroline in the UK says:

Wow – this looks amazing! Will deffo have to try this soon.

Erin A says:

Oh yumm! I’m always looking for new ways to use black beans.

Nicole says:

I’m making this tonight! I have rotisserie chicken to use up :)

Gaby says:

Dinner tonight? This is totally going to be on my table – I love all the southwestern flavors – it’s right up my alley!!

ooh. that does look good. I have used the green sauce and leftover chicken to make yummy enchiladas but will give this a try next time.

Thesha says:

This looks Heavenly! Can’t wait to give this a try.

Meg says:

This looks so good. I will have to give this a try!

kelley says:

Always nice to have a new easy dinner recipe to throw in the mix!

Molly Carter says:

Yum, Jenny! I always have Mexican ingredients on hand. I’ve made a cheesy and creamy rice bake similar to this before. It’s just so good and so easy.

Tracy says:

Sounds yummy!!

This looks like a very tasty meal – perfect for a busy night.

Amye Kelly says:

I made this tonight for dinner, and it was a huge hit! Thanks for posting such easy and delicious recipes.

lindsay says:

made this for dinner tonight and just took my first bite. YUMSVILLE! so delicious!! (i made it with pinto beans since hubby is not a black bean fan.) i’m gonna be full tonight…

gabbyloben723 says:

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING!!! The flavor is all there, it’s creamy and filling. The meat was nice and tender, the rice was perfectly fluffy, and the chicken enchilada mixture was perfection! Thank you thank you thank you!
    ps. my 5 year old niece is a very very picky eater, she had three helpings!

i loooove layered dishes.
    this looks so good!! the inside looks creamy and delicious.
    and i WILL be back soon :)

This sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I’ve bookmarked!

katie hadfield says:

Hey how do you cook your chicken Jen, I have tired different ways and don’t really love how it turns out.. thought I would see what you do? This looks so good, on my list.
    Thanks Katie H

Hi Katie,
      I cook it a number of ways, but when you see where it says “shredded cooked chicken” I typically cook it in my pressure cooker. It cooks those big Costco frozen chicken breasts in about 20 minutes and turns out perfectly juicy. However, if you do not have a pressure cooker, I would recommend placing thawed chicken breasts lightly seasoned with salt and pepper into a baking dish with 1/2 cup of chicken broth placed in the bottom. Cover the dish with foil and bake until cooked through, anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Let me know if you have any questions about it :)

If you plan ahead, toss a few chicken breasts into your crock pot in the morning with some chicken broth and slow cook them for 3-5 hours. That’s a great way to cook chicken too :) Talk soon.

Tricia says:

Looks really yummy. I just printed it out so I can give it a try. I think I may have to leave out some of the yummy stuff (like the olives) to try to get my kids to eat it. They are just too darn picky about their food – drives me absolutely nuts!

Emily says:

Ok can we talk about how AMAZING this looks!!! I am a sucker for Mexican casseroles aka anything with cheese and sauce!! (I recently made a Mexican casserole…what do you think?) Can you please stop making such yummy thing!?! I can’t fit in my pants!

Recipes Fashion Marriage

Shellina says:

Wow- I can’t wait to make this for the fam! Excellent job, and thanks for sharing. :)

I was just thinking I need something super-easy to make for dinner tonight. I think I’m sold – also, you could switch this up a lot with different ingredients (keeping the basic chicken/rice/cheese combo). Yum – thanks!

Memoria says:

I’ll have to make this without sour cream because I don’t like the stuff. Any suggestions? I want to make this with brown rice to make it a bit healthier. It looks amazing.

Stacey W. says:

Oooh, that looks so dang good and I bet that would be so yummy wrapped in a tortilla. :) Thanks for another wonderful recipe. I might have to make this one and follow it up with your new chocolate PB tart for a whole night of goodness.

Liza says:

made this for dinner tonight – so yummy and it’s almost all gone, no complaints from the kiddies

This looks amazing I’m bookmarking it – thanks for sharing :+)

Val says:

I saw this yesterday afternoon and made it for lunch. I happened to have the green enchilada sauce in my pantry. I live in Mexico and sometimes it is really hard to find certain ingredients. Plus, my husband is Mexican and doesn’t always like the American Mexican food that I sometimes try (cause, hey, I can usually find all the ingredients for those dishes). BUT, he really liked it. He said, “I would ask you to make this again”. Anytime he says that, it is a big success! So, thanks for the recipe. It was simple to throw together and all ingredients that I can find!

It was really great!

I made this last night and it came out amazing! Having leftovers for lunch in 15 minutes and I can’t wait. I messed up and bought Red Enchilada Sauce instead of Green, but still came out great. And I used the store baked rotisserie chicken to save on time. Really great recipe, thanks for sharing. I added it to my collection for posterity and future use. ^_^

Joyce says:

This looks so good. I like the way the rice kinda subs for the tortillas. And, love the addition of the black beans!

Lora says:

Thanks for this recipe- I have everything but sour cream so gonna give this a try. It looks great!

Such a genius weeknight dinner & perfect for lunchbox leftovers too! xo

Hannah says:

Cannot wait to try this!!!

Christina says:

Made this last night and loved it! I added in some extra veggies and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing this.

Kerry says:

My husband is skeptical because of the black beans but I am insisting on making this. It looks sooo good.

Callie says:

Just made this tonight…oh my!!! It is superb! I forgot the sour cream but instead of just white rice, I’ve been craving some cilantro lime rice, so I made some and put that at the bottom and topped it off with pepper jack and cheddar! There are plenty of leftovers, and it’s really difficult not to just finish them right now. :)

Jo F. says:

Made this for dinner last night and it was scrumptious! We enjoyed it very much.

Jesseca says:

Oh my YUM! We made this for dinner a few nights ago. I have to say, it’s rather simple, but full of flavor. My husband even suggested adding it to our regular line up!

Thanks Jenny for sharing!

Jessica says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was FABULOUS! Its also much lunch today! Have you ever thought about posting the nutritional information on your dinners? I think this would be a great tool!

Terra says:

This was DELISH!!! My 19 month old had 3 helpings!!! I used leftover carne asada from your recipe instead of chicken and it was excellent!!

danielle says:

This looks so good! I wanted to let you know that I featured this yummy dish on “What I Bookmarked This Week” post – stop by and check it out. And thanks for the inspiration!

danielle

Stefany says:

Made this the other night but used red enchilada sauce since i did not have green on hand. LOVED IT! and so did my kids! thanks for the great recipe! easy ingredients with stuff I ususally have on hand.