Sep
2011

Classic Chicken and Rice Soup

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Dinner

So, many of you know my addiction to Instagram right?  Well, a couple of Sundays ago, I posted a pretty little Instagram picture of the soup I made the family for lunch.  I did not plan on sharing the recipe, but because I posted that little picture on Instagram, I got lots of requests for the recipe :)

You know I generally like to post step by step photos, but that Sunday afternoon, photos were the last thing on my mind :)  I was rushing around like a mad woman after church to get lunch made for my hungry boys.

Since it was so delicious,  I penciled down the recipe, took a couple photos of the very last bowl left on Monday so I could share with you.  Hope you enjoy minus all the photos!!  xoxo

Classic Chicken and Rice Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon minced garlic

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped

3 cups cooked, shredded chicken

7 cups chicken broth

2 cups cooked white rice

1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add onions, and cook stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add celery and carrots, cooking and stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, chicken broth, rice, Dijon, salt, pepper and parsley. Stir and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings

_________________________________

Have a great day, come back soon!

Comments

Kimberley says:

Yum! I love chicken soup! Especially in winter! You’re recipes always look so yummy :D

Kathryn says:

This looks like the perfect soup for autumn – rich and hearty. Delicious!

What a classic comfort food. Absolutely delicious! :-) You’ve got some lucky boys.

Looks so pretty and comforting, Jenny! And I bet your house smelled like my grandma’s house would when she’d make chicken soup…it just smells like love and TLC in the air :)

you should just call this ‘bowl of comfort soup’ since that’s exactly what it is! :)

Tara Lynn says:

Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making this soon!

A soup recipe that doesn’t scare me!! This is a wonderful thing. :) And chicken and rice soup is one of my favorites for sure. Thanks for sharing!!

Annie says:

This looks great! I’ve been hoping to find a good soup recipe with rice in it and this sounds perfect!

Love this classic. Reminds me of home :)

Sharon says:

Looks and sounds delish!! I love a good bowl of Chicken soup, so comforting!!

Deborah says:

This sounds delicious!! I made a kind of similar recipe on Sunday, too!!

This looks really good! Love the polka dot bowl too! ;) I love the change in seasons right now because it means I can pull out all my soup recipes (and search for new ones like this!).

Beth says:

This looks so good… it’s going to get cold this weekend where I live and now I (almost) can’t wait! I will definitely be trying this soup soon!!

Sara says:

Mmmm, this looks so good! I love warm soups in the winter.

Sandra says:

So glad you decided to share this yummy recipe.

Speaking of comfort food! This dish is the perfect example, I can almost taste (and smell) it just by looking at the pictures.

I could use a nice bowl of this soup right now.

What a perfect weeknight meal. I just know my kids will love this!

Amanda says:

This looks delish! I’ve been looking for soup recipes since it is getting so chilly.

On another note, that bowl is SO CUTE! Where did you get it!?

conna says:

Smells winter … Looks delicious !

Love chicken soups !!!

Sandi says:

Started using Instagram this week, love its diversity w/pics! Another lovely recipe from you, thanks :)

Anna says:

This is something my mom would serve everytime I am feverish as a child, or heartbroken as a teener…
    This is real comfort soup!

Melissa says:

I’m trying this out for dinner tonight, it looks delicious! I’m also trying out your taco soup this week. Can you tell that I am a total soup lover?

Cheryl says:

I made this soup tonight..very tasty! I had a real problem with the veggies though…they never got tender…even after more than 15 minutes on medium. I ended up having to boil the soup to get un-crunchify them! Any advice for next time?

Desiree says:

I made this the other night for dinner and it was excellent! I started the veggies early and let them really cook down so they were nice and tender. Very filling and comforting soup – perfect with a side of French bread! Thanks!

[...] from: Picky Palate Share this:TwitterFacebookPrintMoreEmailStumbleUponLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

Margo says:

I saw the dijon mustard and said “WHAT?”…then I did as I was told and put it in the broth. OHMYGAWD! This soup was fantastic. Loved every spoonful. I knew to just go with you…you’ve NEVER steered me wrong. Thanks for sharing…and I never missed the pictures. =)

Amanda Mac says:

I made this – oh so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Tara says:

Made this last night – the (very picky) son and hubby both loved it! Will be adding it to my regular repertoire. Love your site!

Lindsay says:

This was amazing! We made it slightly different to make it easier on our busy schedule:
    We prepped ahead of time:
    -made the rice in the rice cooker
    -sautéed onion and garlic in pan
    Then threw everything into the crock pot (6qt was too big, try 4qt) and cooked on low about 8 hours.
    Super good!

Hannah says:

I made this yesterday and loved every bite! So much so, I posted it on my blog :) Love your recipes! Thanks for sharing :)

[...] Recipe Source:  Picky Palate [...]

Kasey says:

So delicious on a cold night. Added some spices. Used a rotisserie chicken and wild rice instead of white. Could have licked the bowl

[...] Classic Chicken and Rice Soup.  This soup is thick and sticks to your ribs.  You’ll soon find that this recipe will be a new favorite in your family. [...]

[...]   Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe from Picky Palate [...]

Courtney says:

I just made a pot of this last night! It was so delicious, is ish that I had doubled the recipe so that we could eat it for a week! One of the most delicious soups I have had in a LONG time! Thank you so much for this wonderful, affordable, and easy recipe! This is going on my recipe box :)