Oct
2011

Chocolate Shortbread Bars with White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M’s

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Have I said how much I love going down the Halloween isle and finding new goodies to bake with?!  Let me introduce you to….

…..the White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M’s.  Now, before everyone panics, if you can’t find these ANY M&M variety will work just fine.  From what I know these are a Walmart exclusive product.  If anyone has found them other places PLEASE let us know.  My mom brought me 2 bags from a Super Walmart in Mesa, AZ.

I wish you could have seen Amanda and I searching all over Nashville for these darn candies last weekend.  We did not have luck, but boy we had fun trying, lol!  She did have luck in Alabama finding some and I know Arizona has them :) Make sure you check out Amanda’s yummy dessert with the same M&M’s today too!

Good luck everyone!!

Here is your all-star line up.  Very basic pantry basics and a bag of your favorite M&M’s.  Simple, buttery and sweet :)

Cream your butter until creamy.

Add your sugar :)

Add your brown sugar.

Melt your chocolate in the microwave until creamy and smooth.

Add your melted chocolate to the butter and sugars.

Mix, mix, mix!

Add your flour and salt to the mix.  Dough will be thick.

Chocolate-y fabulous.  Press into your baking pan.

Time for the M&M’s!

Line your M&M’s however you like.  I chose rows.  Mmmm.

Time to bake.  350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes.

Oh baby, I am salivating again.  Buttery, crisp but soft and delicious.  Enjoy friends :)

Chocolate Shortbread Bars with White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M’s

2 sticks softened butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil that’s been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

2. In a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.

3. Place chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth, stirring.

4. Pour melted chocolate into mixer beating until well combined. Slowly add flour and salt until well combined. Dough will be thick.

5. Press dough into prepared pan and line with M&M’s, pressing in slightly. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through.

6. Let cool completely and cut into squares.

Makes 9-12 bars

____________________________

Have a great day, come back soon!

Comments

[...] candies. Just another a day in the crazy life of two sweet shoppers! (Make sure you check out Jenny’s yummy dessert with the same M&M’s today [...]

Amanda says:

Oh my gosh girl, I am cracking up at our hunt all over Nashville for these crazy candies! LOVE what you did with them, your shortbread is my absolute favorite! :) See you soon girl!! xoxo

Jenny these look crazy good. And I opened up Amanda’s post and yours at the same time and bam, she has those candies…and then you talked about it and that you were bent on finding them. I don’t blame you. They sound phenomenal.

I just published a post raving about this time of year, too, b/c of seasonal candy. I found white chocolate KitKats. It’s the simple things that make me excited :)

Your bars…perfection. Love the PERFECT ROWS, too :)

Kathryn says:

These look awesome, this is such a great idea!

Sibylle says:

Looks great! A very nice treat for children’s parties!
    Thank you!
    Sibylle

Chocolate shortbread sounds delicious! I love finding new halloween candy, too!

These are super cute! Lovely recipe :)

AH, that explains why I can’t find them – I didn’t check WalMart yet!! Must stop today! LOL. Thanks Jenny, and the bars look great :)

Let me know if you can find them Liz, Amanda and I checked a couple Walmart’s in Nashville that didn’t have them, hoping they just hadn’t been stocked yet, lol!!

• Tiffany says:

Hi there, I am making these delicious looking bars tonight, and thought I’d let you know that we do have the candy corn M&Ms in Nashville, this year!!! :) You can find them at Walgreens drug stores. Thanks for the recipe!

Clare says:

oh these look too good! I would literally not be able to keep my hands off them.

i’ve never had chocolate shortbread before but WOW! looks amazing!

I love these! Even more so because they look incredible and I can make ‘em with stuff I’ve already got…too perfect! Thanks for adding to the array of festive treats I’ve been filling my eyes with lately. :)

mrsblocko says:

So do the M&M’s taste like candy corn or just colored like them? I’m very intrigued.

Annie says:

Those look great! I love the colored rows of M&Ms!

natalie says:

looks so yummy! i wish these m&m’s weren’t walmart exclusives! i’ve been seeing these pop up on a lot of blogs, but i don’t shop at walmart! :(

I don’t shop at Walmart either Natalie, mostly because they are so far from where I live. Glad my mom brought me a couple bags :)

Melissa Clarke says:

I don’t shop at Walmart either, so I will either be finding a substitute for the special M&M’s, or just use something else. I really get frustrated when something is a Walmart exclusive!! Glad I’m not the only one.

• Jessica says:

I found them at Target today! I live in New Orleans, LA but I’m sure if they have it at our Target they have it at all of them!

Yummers! My M&M’s always crack in the oven. Do you have any secret tips for making that not happen? Yours look like they stayed intact!

It’s funny Lori, because I was thinking these would crack for sure, because when I usually bake with M&M’s they crack!! This variety must be a bit stronger :) I just gently pressed them into the tops of the shortbread before baking :)

Michelle says:

These look delicious, and I am in love with these new candies. I just invented a recipe for Autumn inspired cookies with these inside. They are called White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M Pumpkin Spice cookies. Here’s the link if you’d like to take a look:

Super cute and look so yummy! Great job!

Simone says:

This would be so great for our Halloween Recipe Blog Hop! http://is.gd/X7I9XV

Dawn says:

I wondered about those M&M’s. I saw them at Wal-Mart (In Texas) yesterday. Might have go back and try them.

Laurel says:

Did you see there was a recipe contest associated with these candies too?

Aimee says:

WE have Candy Corn M&Ms all the way up here in Moline, IL. :)

Samantha says:

I’ve yet to see those M&M’s in any store and now I must check walmart like you said! I really dislike going into my local walmart, it’s crazy!

This is one of the best recipes I have come across in a while!:-) Chocolate-y,sweet,delicious(I am sure).Cannot wait to make these!
    P.S. Thank you for sharing!:-)

Deborah says:

I have been looking for these and haven’t had any luck. :( But I’m going to keep looking, because these look fabulous!

Destini says:

My mom actually just brought these back for me from the states(I live in Canada) and I am wishing I didn’t eat that whole bag by myself…because these would have been great with that!!

Great recipe :)

julanne says:

GRRRRRRR!!!! I can’t find the ‘candy corn’ m&m’s anywhere in my area :*(

These look sooo good Jenny! Perfect holiday shortbread bars :) So festive!

LOL Glad there’s somebody like me out there! I went all over town searching for the large M&M’s filled with peanut butter. They only come out for Easter so I really have to stock up on those! I think I bought 30-some bags this year and they’re almost gone ;(
    I did some candy corn mini cupcakes if you want to check them out:

Gail B says:

I’m not sure why I keep sucking into your blog as soon as I say I’m going on a diet! LOL You just make a girl wanta bake her buns off!

Alison says:

I just found your blog and this looks great. I was actually thinking ahead to christmas to use this with peppermint bark. I have already picked out more pumpkin things then I can make for the month but this would be a great cookie exchange cookie but that means that I will have to test and taste it many times before :) Thanks for the great recipe!!!

Karly says:

Oh, I’m seriously going to be stalking the store for those m&ms!

yummy-yum! And I also love the straight lines…nice, neat, and organized!

They look yummy! I’m not sure we have candy corn M&Ms in the UK but I’ll definitely be trying it with normal ones!

I haven’t been out much since the baby. I think I need to make a special trip to the store to find those M&M’s! Great treat!

brandi says:

these look delicious! i’ve already made a few things with them – i’ve got to buy more this weekend!

mmmmm those bars look really good, and I can’t wait to get some of those candy cane M&Ms

Leisha says:

I had to get these candies at Walmart the MORNING I read your and Amanda’s blog! Oh. My. Goodness. I’ll just say, they didn’t last very long! …and my husband didn’t get any! :)

Andrea says:

Hey Jenny,
    I live in Mesa AZ and have been to 3 Walmarts looking for them. Do you know which location in Mesa you mo found them at?

Yes, Jenny, I used them the other day in some pumpkin cookies and I live in AZ as well. Our Phoenix WalMart had them. I couldn’t decide if I liked them or not though. I guess I have it stuck in my head that M&M’s are milk chocolate.

Ginger says:

I live in SE Virginia and found these at my local WalMart. Looked the candy aisle up and down and finally found them on the very bottom shelf. They are yummy!

Abby says:

Just made this recipe with regular M&M’s… Can’t find the Candy Corn ones in Florida. Turned out perfect!!!

Amanda says:

I found these M&M’s in my town in Pennsylvania!! I was SO excited. I can’t wait to make this recipe tomorrow. I was thinking about also making a batch using white chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips :)

Steve says:

New M&M’s! This recipe looks outstanding! This is perfect for the Halloween party I’ll be going to. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa Clarke says:

I just made these a couple of hours ago, they are great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

[...] candies. Just another a day in the crazy life of two sweet shoppers! (Make sure you check out Jenny’s yummy dessert with the same M&M’s today [...]

Eve says:

I made these today…SO good!! Mine were a little crumbly, but the taste is wonderful!

Lara says:

Just got back from a trip to Wal-mart here in Kansas City and they had a cart FULL of these delicious candies discounted with the Halloween candy!