Jan
2013

Chicken and Black Bean Smoky Rice Skillet

Tags: , , , ,

Dinner

New year, new resolutions.  I will be honest with you.  I prefer to eat what I like in moderation rather than diet.  That’s more my style.

So, for a couple weeks you will find healthier options for you on Picky Palate, but after that, I’ll be back to posting what I feel like :)  Sound good?

This smoky rice skillet is healthy and absolutely delicious.  One of my favorite weeknight dinners.  For those of you with a Trader Joes, run-don’t walk, to their frozen food area to pick up a box of their rice medley.  You simply pop it in the microwave and poof it’s done.  Seriously, I use it all the time.  It’s fabulous in this rice skillet.  If you are not lucky to have a Trader Joe’s in your area, use your favorite rice blend as a substitute.

Here’s your ingredients.

Slice and quarter your zucchini.

…and your yellow squash.

Saute your veggies.

Saute until softened.

Stir in garlic.

Stir in your chicken.

Black beans please.

Stir in your cooked rice.

Almost done.

Add the smokiness now.  A nice handful of cumin.

Add your salt and pepper.

…..a little parsley and you are good to go.  Bon Appetit!

Chicken and Black Bean Smoky Rice Skillet

• 6 cups prepared rice medley
  • 2-3 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley

Directions

1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute zucchini, squash, and onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, beans, rice, cumin, salt, pepper and parsley stirring to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or until hot.

Makes 8 Servings

Comments

Smokey & simple? I’ll take it! Although I’ll have to find a different rice blend…TJ’s is ever so elusive ;)

ooh, I love the idea of a rice skillet – a nice simple, healthy dinner. This looks great!

Julie Chiou says:

I love that this is all made in the skillet with such great ingredients that every pantry already should have. This looks so delicious!

Elizabeth says:

love this recipe…..I noticed that many of your recpies are low in fat and healthy…thanks for that….

What a great quick, healthy recipe, Jenny! Love that it is a skillet meal!

Hearty and healthy! What a great dinner idea. :)

Great weeknight meal!

ashley says:

YUM! This looks delish and healthy! I’m totally going to make this for my family very soon. I have most of the ingredients too. Thanks for sharing!

marla says:

Hi Jenny! The idea of a smoky rice is so tempting. I need this in my life ASAP!!

Yum & easy, too! Thanks :)

This sounds incredible! :-) I’m pinning it now!

Heather says:

Pinned it! Just curious – how do you usually get your shredded chicken?

Sarah says:

YUM! This is definitely being added to our weeknight routines! And thanks for the tip on the race from TJ’s…I love that place but am always looking for the best things to pick up in there.

Gaby says:

This looks like the perfect weeknight meal!! Thanks Jenny :)

Jenny, this looks so good!! By the way, we were looking through your cookbook in class today… Oreo stuffed cookies on the wishlist menu again, and a new one we’ll be trying… p. 195, Peanut Butter Marshmallow Fudgy Brownies… Can’t wait!

I love all of your easy recipes Jenny! Looks so perfect!

naomi says:

Loving this one pot dish!

Janna says:

Thank you for this recipe! We just got back from a little vacay in California and need a yummy non take out meal for dinner tonight! (My hubby works for Trader Joes, so I have one more bag of this rice medley in my freezer just waiting to be used)

I’m the same, Jenny. Never cared too much for resolutions. I just do my best throughout the year and things balance out nicely.

Madeleine says:

YUM! This looks delicious!

Lovin’ the one-pot dinner solution, Jenny!

Healthy, delicious and not so difficult, that’s just what one needs. Asks for! :-) Loved it.

I do love this kind of family dishes. It looks easy and so good;

stacy says:

Looks wonderful and I’m excited to try it. I love all-in-one type dinners so I don’t have to make sides. Could I swap cilantro for the parsley? I don’t usually have fresh parsley on hand, but I almost always have cilantro.

This looks so hearty and tasty! Love all that cumin!

allison says:

Made this tonight and it was really good! Thank you! We just recently got a Trader Joes here in Dallas and oh I love it so so much.

I too want to shred some of the added weight from the holiday season, but I don’t want to diet. Eating delicious food in moderation is an excellent idea. I’ll be looking forward to your next recipes because this one in so delicious!

What a great one dish meal! And I love all the veggies in it too-very versatile!

Anna says:

I made this tonight and it is SOOOOOO good!!! Love the flavor, and the different textures and I feel like I’m eating so healthy!!

[...] Chicken and Black Bean Smoky Rice Skillet :: Picky Palate [...]

Haley Bruce says:

Made this for dinner tonight! We LOVED it :)
    Thanks!!! Love your recipes!

Debbie Felts says:

Made tonight for dinner, Loved it! Thanks. Any idea on calorie count?

jennifer says:

Does the trader joes rice have any seasoning on its own? If I use my regular rice will I be missing any flavor?

Theresa says:

Made this tonight! Followed all the steps, but it did not turn out good. I guess I’m not fun of cumin.

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]

[…] – Pork Loin Roast with potatoes and a veggie Wednesday – Broccoli Quiche Thursday -Chicken and Black Bean Smoky Rice Skillet Friday – Hubby is on his own Saturday – Hubby is on his own Sunday – Not sure […]