Apr
2013

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I’ve been teasing you with my Perfect M and M cookies for over a week now on Instagram.  I had to re-test them to make sure they were just perfect for you!  …..well they are, so I’m hoping it’ll be worth the wait.

So, what defines a perfect cookie to you?  It’s quite different for everyone I imagine.  For me, the cookie has to be soft but crispy around the edges with just the right texture.  Also, they must not be flat.  This cookie that I’ve developed has all of those things which is why this post is called How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies :)

Wanna know the secret to creating the lovely texture and shape to these cookies?!!

The Secret

Here’s the secret.  I added 3 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder to my dough.  You’ll get perfectly fluffy, chewy and bakery style cookies every time.

Let’s take a look at my recipe!

creaming sugars

Butter and sugars please!

eggs and vanilla

Egg and vanilla.

IMG_2079

Flour, salt and baking soda please :)

vanilla pudding mix

Magical ingredient, the vanilla pudding mix.

Stirring

Give a nice stir and get ready to add the fun stuff.

mini chips and mini m and m

Oh yah!  Lately I’ve been using Mini Chocolate Chips for my cookies.  Regular size works too, whatever floats your boat.  I do recommend using the mini M and M’s though.  They can be tricky to find.  These were bought at Walmart and Frys in Mesa, AZ.

IMG_2141

For the love of chocolate chips.

M and M

Be still my mini M and M heart.

IMG_2182

Yes please!

M and M Cookie Dough

My kind of dough.

M and M Cookie Dough Picky Palate

Do not press the cookie dough before baking.   Leave just like this.  UPDATE:  If your cookies don’t flatten after baking as my photo shows below, try pressing the cookie dough to about a 1/2″ thickness before you bake.

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

This is how they’ll come out.  Perfect!  Enjoy friends!

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 or 1-1/2 cups Mini M and M’s

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl cream your butter and sugars until well combined. Add your egg and vanilla mixing to combine. Add your flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Add chips and m and m’s stirring to combine.
  3. With a medium cookie scoop, place dough 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!

Makes 2 dozen cookies

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Deon says:

The pudding! Who would have thought? I am totally pinning this recipe and whipping up a batch for my weekend crowd who will sooooo love me (love you) for these! Thanks!

Deon @ipinnedit.com

Jenny they are indeed perfect! Pudding mix is amazing stuff. It keeps everything so soft, moist, tender, and can do no wrong. I love it in banana bread and no matter how hard I try to use other things in it’s place, nothing quite gives me the results that it does. I love these cookies of yours. Pinned!

marla says:

Looking good! I’ll have some for breakfast please!

Beautiful cookies! I also like adding instant pudding into cookie dough…so many flavor options! I normally find the Mini M&M’s in the candy aisle, at my local Wal-Mart- they are so cute and fun to bake with!

Thank you so much for sharing this secret ingredient Jenny!
    My cookies are usually less good looking than yours.

I need to try the pudding mix trick! On the lookout for Ghirardelli Mini’s- haven’t spotted those yet!

Wow! My cookies never come out quite this perfect looking!

Tieghan says:

Pudding mix! That is crazy! I am going to the store to buy some today! What a clever idea. These cookies look sooooo good!

Jenny! These TOTALLY look so perfectly soft! I LOVE pudding in cookies – they’re like the best kept secret ever. Sometimes I don’t even like to tell people I used it ;) these look amazing!! I NEED to find those Ghiradelli mini’s!!

Mary says:

Jenny, these are my favorite all time cookies! I have been messing with a recipe I have, but it just wasn’t turning out how I wanted it to. You found the secret! Thanks, I cant wait to give these a try!!!

I love making pudding cookies! So soft!

these look perfect indeed! I love them, must make them!

Yes, yes, yes! Such a great classic!

carrian says:

Love pudding cookies! These look amazing and I had no idea that Ghirardelli has minis!!

I’m not sure what it is, but m & m cookies always look and sound so amazing! The colorful m&ms make the cookies so much better than just normal chocolate chips. and pudding cookies, great choice. I can’t wait to try these out!

Love the pudding mix trick! My kiddos will go crazy for these M&M cookies!

They are … GORGEOUS ! Unfortunately, in France, I don’t think I would find your magical ingredient ! :(
    But they look yummy !

Tara says:

If you don’t have pudding mix you can try what always works for me. I have a great recipe that doesn’t always come that perfect consistency. So, I decided to try ingredients that my mother had used and I had turned my nose up at. Instead of butter I use half margarine and half shortening. I know there are purists who cringe at such ingredients, but seriously…it’s cookies. The enormous amount of sugar and fat in it already makes it a proceed with caution food. All I know is that my cookies always come out perfectly crunchy, chewy and delicious!

These are just too cute, Jenny!!! The mini chips and candies make them just precious!!!

Gaby says:

omg. JELLO!! No way. That is such a cool trick and one that I’ve never tried before! All over this for this weekend.

They do look perfect and very enticing! And if I made them i would have m and m’s left over. What’s a girl to do?

Talk about a lightbulb moment!! How had I never heard this secret before! I’m stocking up on pudding mix this week.

Lori says:

Wow those do look perfect! I wish I could reach in the monitor and grab one!

Too bad my oven is broken….I would be baking these tonight otherwise!

Jenny I think all of your cookies look petty darn perfect anyway:)

KELLY MOORHEAD says:

THEY LOOK SO GOOD !
    THE LIGHT IN YOUR HOME FOR YOUR PICTURES IS SO LOVELY TO SEE. NOT TOO MUCH SUN IN OHIO RIGHT NOW!

Joan B says:

Must try these this weekend! I noticed you were stirring by spoon and not mixer. I think this makes a difference in cookies but not sure why. What is your opinion or theory regarding this?

You know what Joan, I honestly make cookies both ways. Not sure I’ve seen a major difference between the two in my experience.

Missy says:

Thank you for posting! I’ve been waiting for this!!

You can’t go wrong with m&m cookies! I need to try using pudding in cookies like this!

I recently put pudding in my chocolate chip cookies…it makes a world of difference!!

OH MY these look amazing!!! We’ll be making these soon for sure.

Suzi says:

Do you think you could use chocolate puddin mix? Or would you have
    To adjust the sugar? I oy have chocolate pudding mix right now.

This is my favorite cookie ever, ever, ever – and you just made it look even more appealing! Saving these to try soon, thanks Jenny!

I love pudding mix in cookies! I bet it makes these cookies fabulous!

OMG! PUDDING! I so have to try these today!

I love the mini chocolate chips! I just bought a bag and made the mistake of telling my husband I bought them… I dont have them anymore =/ Now let’s hope I can find them again (and hide them from the hubs LOL!!) I havent ever put in the instant pudding into my cookies. I really need to try this :) These cookies look beautiful as ever!

Diana says:

Thank you, thank you, thank YOU! As much as I’m afraid to bake a batch of the babies (for fear of devouring then all myself), they just look too irresistible to pass up! You described my favorite cookie texture, so vanilla pudding mix is going on my shopping list! :)

Christina @ Oven Advebtures says:

I’m a total cookie freak. As soon as I saw these I knew I had to make them. My ingredients are coming to room temp right now.

These look freakishly delicious! I’ll have to try using pudding mix sometime.

Lindy@itsy bitsy paper says:

Pudding chocolate chip cookies are my favorite. I have used the pudding recipe with M&Ms too but I also use the whole package. I’m totally trying it like you made them. I can’t wait! I have a new bag of M&Ms ready to be used and a brand new box of pudding. So glad I saw your post. Yummy!

Michelle says:

So I NEED to make these like NOW, but all I have is the Sugar Free/Fat Free Instant Pudding Mix…will you still get the same results? I just don’t want to run to the store right now.

xLoveHappyx says:

fluffy and chewy? oh man, gotta go get something sweet now!

These look so good! I love using mini chips and M&Ms in cookies…more in every bite! Pinning these for sure (:

Leah says:

I only have sugar free pudding mix right now-would it work?

Pudding in cookies really is the best. These do look perfect, Jenny!

Anne says:

Baked these this afternoon. They are delicious, though mine ran and were very thin…not as thick and beautiful as yours. I’m sure I measured the ingredients correctly…any thoughts?

omg! they look amazing!! i want two dozen :)

I need to make these immediately!! They definitely do look absolutely perfect! :)

Oh I think these are going to be another class favorite! Thank you!

Eloise says:

looks awesome! where did you find those mini mms?

Eloise says:

have you experimented with different flavored pudding?

Debbie says:

Just made these and they were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly. My only question is should the dough ingredients be doubled? Or the chocolate halved? My dough would hardly stay together with all the chocolate. Also, my baked cookies look like they have double the chocolate that yours have?

Hi Debbie, I made mine exactly how the recipe is stated, you could certainly reduce your chocolate chips next time :) xoxo

• Kristin says:

My batter was very crumbly too?? I had to form it into balls and pack it to stay together. Hmmmmm.

• Megan says:

I still had a LOT of chips at the bottom of the bowl that wouldn’t combine with the dough because there was so much chocolate. And it did appear that it had way more than your picture after they were baked. If I make these again I will half the amount of chocolate. And not as soft as I expected. Tasty recipe otherwise. Thanks for sharing.

• amy a says:

Supper yummy, but my dough was crumbly too :(

• Kay says:

yes mine were crumbly too-they are in the oven right now..hope they turn out well still…

• Kaytlin says:

So I have made these cookies twice now. The first time the batter was super crumbly and they didn’t spread at all! They were like little ball cookies. I did some research and found out that crumbly batter and no spreading was a sign of too much flour (I used about 1- 1 1/4 cup). I also didn’t put near as many chocolate chips and M&M’s. They turned out SO much better. Also, I found that mixing the flour a little at a time helps (I hand mixed mine as well). Hopefully this helps some of you!