Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jul
2013

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Dinner

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac by Picky Palate

Every time I use my crock pot I wonder why I don’t use it more often!  It’s so great to use in the summer so you don’t have to turn on the oven.

Have you had white chili before?  It’s got all of the same great chili flavors but it is not red like traditional chili.  There’s no chili powder or tomatoes which makes your chili that deep red color.

What you will find is lots of vegetables, chicken, cumin, spices, lime, cilantro and diced avocado on top.  This was such a favorite dinner for us last week.  We ate it for days.

Break out your crock pot and enjoy!!

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-3

Here’s a look at all of the ingredients I used.

Onions

A large onion and garlic to start.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-2

Oh boy, Pax has found the tupperware cupboard.  He’s always in the kitchen with me, tidying up haha.

green bell peppers

Anaheim pepper.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-8

2 large or 4 small zucchini and a green bell pepper.

chicken and beans

Cooked shredded chicken and white beans.

transferring to crock pot

Transfer to a large crock pot.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-14

Add your chicken broth.

Ranch and Lime

Add 1 package of Ranch Seasoning packet plus fresh lime juice.  I found an organic all natural Ranch mix at Whole Foods, yay!

cumin and garlic salt

Some cumin, garlic salt, salt and pepper to season.

Mac

With the crock pot on high add your pasta and let cook for 2 hours.  Once al dente, reduce heat to low.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-21

Right before serving, add fresh cilantro.  Mmm!

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-30t

Add diced avocado to each bowl and enjoy!

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Mac-32t

• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups small dry pasta
  • 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1 avocado, diced

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in Anaheim peppers, zucchini, green bell peppers, chicken and beans. Saute for 10 minutes, stirring often.
  2. Transfer to a large crock pot over high heat. Add broth, Ranch seasoning, lime juice, cumin, garlic salt, salt, pepper and pasta. Close lid and let cook for 2 hours on high. Reduce heat to low or warm. Right before serving stir in cilantro and top each individual bowl with diced avocado.

Makes 12 Servings

Comments

Megan says:

That looks AMAZING! We are a big white chili family. I never even thought to add noodles. Can’t wait to try this version.

LOVE using my crockpot in the summer. This is such a fabulous and Summery spin on chili!!

carrian says:

That sounds delicious!!!

This soup sounds wonderful, Jenny!

Tieghan says:

Mmm!! Sounds so good. I would love a bowl for dinner tonight!

I want a bowl right now!

I like white chicken chili more than just the regular stuff. Like that you added pasta to yours.

This looks soooooo comforting. And I love the fresh zucchini in there! :)

Totally want to try this.

Heather says:

I am all over the slow cooker right now, but I love how this can totally be made any time!!!

Jenna says:

This looks so good!

naomi says:

No oven – yes, please! And it looks delicious – I’m in!

I love slow cooker meals!! and this one looks great!

Gaby says:

HECK YES!!! I am coming over for this next time you make it!!

tiffany says:

That looks great! I might try adapting to cook on the stovetop.

This chili has my name written all over it! It was rainy this past weekend in Denver and totally put me in the mood for slow cooker meals:)

I’ll take a few bowls of this please!! It looks amazing!

Pat Cody says:

Is it really 1/4 Cup of Cumin? Sounds like a lot but I admit, I love Cumin. Just wanted to be sure.

marla says:

This is a fab family meal & I LOVE all the avocado!

This looks amazing, your pictures scream fresh! They also scream “eat me” because I really want this dish!

Maegan @ The BakerMama says:

This sounds so delicious! Love how it has lots of zucchini in it! I think my family would eat it up!

Even I am not a cooking blogger but I am sure the pictures form my kitchen are nicer than in any posh cooking blog, including you! ;) :P

On a different topic. Even if I found this blog listed as one of wordpress blogs, I really hate when I can’t find a typical Follow function on its usual place!

Absolutely Fabulously Delish.
    Can’t wait to make this. WOWWwww.

Christy says:

How long would you cook if on low? This sounds delicious!

heather says:

I love your kitchen towel! Where did you get it?

Jennifer says:

How long do you keep it on low, after you have cooked it on high 2 hours? Does it still need to cook more? Will the pasta get too soft if you keep it on low for a few hours (after the 2 hours of high)?

Deborah says:

I am the same – I love the slow cooker in the summer so I don’t have to heat up the house! This looks so good!

Simone says:

This is currently in my crockpot for dinner tonight! I am having my husband’s guy friends over and thought it’d be a good rainy day meal. I have to admit that I had to come back on here to check that it said 1/4 cup of cumin, because I’ve been worrying it was tsp and I read it wrong. I added 1/8 to be safe.

I put mine on low and just had my husband add the noodles, since work didn’t allow me to do 2 hours. Excited to try it, thanks for the great recipe!

Shana Norris says:

The addition of pasta & ranch seasoning has me intrigued. Yum! And of course I’m always on the lookout for a great slow cooker recipe.

Looks delicious! I just got your book and flagged several recipes to try soon–love it!!

Maddie says:

Hi Jenny :-)
    First of all LOVE YOUR BLOG … I have followed it for years but only commented once or twice over the years :-) your blog was actually the very first blog I ever followed and thereafter my blog roll just kept growing LOL
    Well, I know that this is completely off topic from this post but since this is your newest post I decided to write it here instead of writing in one of your old posts :-)
    Ever since you posted a picture of the Kate Spade crossbody bag (the pink and orange one) in one of your chit chat posts this spring I have been WANTING if ….ha ha… Well, now I finally have a little extra to spend on myself (most of our money is spent on the kiddos LOL)… But before purchasing it I just wanted to ask you if you still love yours as much as when you bought it, or have you changed your mind about it?
    And is yours the smaller (Tenley) or the larger (Cora) version of this bag?
    Thank you so much for all your wonderful recipes. I will definitely be making this white chili :-)

Sam Barnes says:

Just wondering, but if you were use raw chicken and removed it, diced, and re-added it, do you think that might make it up the cooking time a bit? I’m in the market for recipes I can leave on over night for the next day after work since I’m gone almost 12 hours. (6 hours over night is much safer I think.)

[…] Slow Cooker White Chili Mac […]

Sara Simmons says:

Looks delicious. Cant wait to try! After the 2 hours on high, how much longer does it need to be cooking on low?

[…] their dad, which means I’ll be working away all afternoon and evening.  I plan to put White Chicken Chili Mac in the slow cooker early in the day so we have a nice warm dinner ready for whenever we have a […]

Micki says:

Hi, I made this yesterday, and the pasta was really overcooked. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Erin says:

With the beans, do you drain the juice or add it?

Karen says:

1/4 cup of cumin? is that right?