Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Nov
2013

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps

Tags: , , ,

Cookies

Treat yourself to my Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps this baking season! Bet you can’t eat just one :)

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps

If it were up to me I would eat these cookies all year round.  Possibly my favorite cookie ever.  Perfect spices and texture…and who doesn’t love brown butter cookies?!  I love the crispy buttery edges and soft chewy centers.  These make a great cookie-exchange cookie and they are great for packaging in a box or cellophane bag with a little bow.  I do believe these will be my cookie that I give to my neighbors this year for Christmas.

Hope you enjoy!

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-3

Start by browning your butter then letting it cool almost to room temperature.  Add it to your bowl along with your melted coconut oil and molasses.

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-4

One egg please.

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-6

A gorgeous mound of brown sugar.

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-7

Dry ingredients up next.

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-8

Cinnamon and double ginger!  Mmm :)

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-10t

These are so lovely.  Get baking already :)

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps-14t

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps

Brown Butter Soft Batch Style GingersnapsPrep time: 20 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 30 min

Ingredients

• 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup softened or melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling dough in

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. Place butter into a small saucepan over medium heat. Melt and cook/stir until browned. Takes a good 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
  3. Place cooled brown butter (ok if it’s still warm) into a stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Add coconut oil, brown sugar, molasses and egg, beating on medium until well combined. Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Mix until just combined. Dough will be thick. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into granulated sugar and place onto prepared baking sheet. Place 1 inch apart to allow for spreading. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool on baking sheet for at least 15 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve room temperature or chilled.

Makes 2 dozen cookies

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Ohmygosh. My Sunday post is softbatch molasses cookies. At least I didn’t use browned butter..LOL

Your cookies are gorgeous Jenny! One of my fave cookies in the whole wide world is a soft molasses cookie! Pinned!

Tieghan says:

Soft batch! Yes! These look perfect in each and every way, Jenny!!

Love these! Great holiday cookie!

These look delicious! So perfect for the holidays!

Carrian says:

These look simply amazing! Yum! Can’t wait to try them!

Sibylle says:

They look already a bit Christmassy!!

Amanda says:

Did you really make a SOFT gingersnap? I think I am in love!

Bonna says:

Could you substitute regular oil in place of the coconut oil?

These hit me right in the soft spot Jenny (haha, no pun intended!) they look totally amazing, and exactly like what my family would love!

I really think I’m going to make this this weekend! It looks and sound so good! I LOVE how soft they look too!

marla says:

Mmmmmm. LOVing these cookies Jenny :)

Rica Jones says:

Did you use dark molasses?

Ooh these look delicious. I need to get my hands on some ginger!

naomi says:

I’m all for any cookies with brown butter! These look and sound great.

Molly L. says:

I’m obsessed with anything brown butter + anything gingersnaps! Question – do you taste the coconut oil in the finished cookie? I’m not crazy about the flavor of coconut – could I just use 1/4 cup more of butter?

You had me at brown butter!

Brown butter AND gingersnaps….what a stellar combination!

These look like the perfect soft cookie. Yum!

Mmm. What a winner, Jenny!

These look so great! Anything with brown butter is an immediate winner in my eyes.

Gonna have to try these this weekend!

Marian says:

Love these for the upcoming holidays!

Yum, yum, yum! This is a cookie I need to add to my holiday baking list!

Soft batch style gingersnaps are my favorite! Pinning and making these soon!

Mmmm…these sound delicious, Jenny! A perfect holiday cookie! :)

d says:

Wow- Gotta try these!

Rebecca says:

What can I substitute for coconut oil? I’ve never used it.

Hi Rebecca, I haven’t substitued it for another oil, so I would just add 4 more tablespoons of butter if you don’t want to use the coconut oil. Hope you enjoy!

Gingersnaps are my favorite, I have got to make these this weekend!

I love finger cookies and these look like the best. So soft and spicy!

Elizabeth says:

Romance cookies

Maegan @ The BakerMama says:

How perfect are these for the Holidays and beyond?! I bet the brown butter and coconut oil make them something special!

[…] Butter Soft Ginger Cookies (adapted from Picky Palate–but not really adapted since they were already […]

[…] favorite cookie this time of year is by far my Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingernaps!  Make them for your family and […]

Alyson says:

I love this recipe Jenny!! I made these cookies and completely fell in love! I plan to make a few more batches of these for holiday parties and actually wrote a recommendation for others to try these on my blog. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome creation!
    ~Alyson

Rachel Miller says:

I just made these cookies last night! Oh my god! I’ve never really been a big gingersnap fan – brown butter fan YES! These are freaking awesome! They have this rich, spicy, and chewy texture that is just to die for. My fiancé ate 5 in one sitting and he told me before I made them that he didn’t like gingersnaps either. I strongly urge any non believers to use the coconut oil – it adds this depth of flavor that the butter doesn’t bring to the table. I added a 1/4 tsp. of cardamom and some freshly grated nutmeg. These are definitely being added to my usual repertoire. THANK YOU!

Arlene Claudio says:

Hi Jenny!I have a question? I have every single ingredient to make this cookie except the coconut oil. What can I use to substitute it? Thank you. Happy Holidays! :)

[…] adapted from Picky Palate Recipe type: Dessert Serves: […]

[…] adapted from Picky Palate & Chef […]

Yvonny James says:

The “1 stick of unsalted butter” is that a 1/2 cup stick or 1 cup stick??

Yvonny James says:

Just curious but it just states 1 stick of butter, is that the small 1/2 stick of butter or 1 cup stick of butter?

[…] This recipe originally was based on the following recipe: http://picky-palate.com/2013/11/06/brown-butter-soft-batch-style-gingersnaps/ […]

Erin says:

Just pulled these out of the oven and they are amazing!!

Dena says:

Made these recently and oh boy, this recipe is a keeper! So flavorful and soft, I love them. Many others who tried loved them also. They stayed moist for days also which is a bonus (I made a double batch so that’s why there were still a few left after a few days). Thanks for this one!

[…] exchange this week with the ladies in my church.  I made dozens of my Perfect M and M Cookies and Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps.  2 of my absolute favorite cookies.  I highly recommend them for your upcoming parties or cookie […]

[…] food blogs to see what different molasses cookies they’ve made. And I stumbled upon these Soft Batch Gingersnaps by The Picky Palate. They looked easy and delicious, which is exactly what I was going for. The […]

Amanda says:

I tried it as is and like it, but it didn’t really remind me of gingersnaps. I added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon to the dough and then added a few dashes of cinnamon to the rolling sugar and they got rave reviews.