These Caramel Cupcakes are all kinds of delicious. They’re made with a moist butter cake topped with a Werther’s buttercream frosting. Whip up a batch in 30 minutes!
Caramel Cupcakes Recipe
I’ve got just the cupcake recipe for you! Homemade yellow cake on bottom and salted caramel on top! You are in for a treat with my homemade cupcake.
Try my Chocolate Cupcakes too! Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration!
What a treat partnering with Werther’s Original in honor of National Caramel Day! I’ve developed a cupcake that you are going to absolutely love. You have a homemade yellow butter cake with crushed caramel candies melted throughout when baked and my homemade buttercream on top with melted Werther’s Soft Caramels.
How To Make The Best Caramel Cupcakes
To start, cream your butter and sugar until well combined.
You’ll add your eggs and vanilla then sour cream up next.
Add half of your dry ingredients and continue with remaining ingredients.
Stir in your crushed caramels.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20-22 minutes, until baked through. Let cool completely.
Place unwrapped caramels into a small saucepan with a couple tablespoons of milk to melt.
Prepare the buttercream, scoop or spread onto cupcakes and slowly drizzle partially cooled caramel.
Caramel Butter Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk no substitutions
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 unwrapped Werther’s Original Caramel Hard Candies
Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 20 unwrapped Werther’s Original Soft Caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Place butter and sugar into stand mixer, beat until well combined. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add half of buttermilk, half of dry ingredients then remaining buttermilk and dry ingredients mixing until well combined. Stir in Werther’s Original crushed caramels.
- While cupcakes are cooling, place butter into stand mixer and beat until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar until you’ve got a nice consistency. Stir heavy cream until smooth. Frost over cupcakes. Place Werther’s soft caramels and milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool until thick yet still able to drizzle. Slowly drizzle over tops of frosting and serve.
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Werther’s Original. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Picky Palate possible.
Thank you so much!
I am a sucker for soft caramels – I’m swooning over these!!
It’s kind of silly, but when I was a kid Werther’s was my favorite. I was like a little butterscotch caramel addict. Pretty sure I still am too. These cupcakes look absolutely amazing!
These are so dreamy!
Such tempting cupcakes!
Those cupcakes…..that caramel….I.CAN’T.EVEN!
that drizzle makes those cupcakes.
Wow this looks so good, can’t wait to try. Your blog is amazing, would love to get your feedback on my blog 🙂
OMG! These cupcakes are beautiful! Would not last long around my house!
Yum! My hubby loves caramel so I am definitely going to have to make these. 🙂
Simply Rachel Nicole
Those cupcakes look so good! Love the melted caramel topping!
Werther’s are so addicting! I love that you incorporated both the hard and soft candies into this recipe.
These look so delicious!
Jenny, these cupcakes look amazing. Love that caramel on top and the bits inside. Genius!
Gahh!!! I love weathers original! these look awesome!
OMG Werther’s <3 This recipe looks so easy and so yummy! Should definitely try. Thank you so much for sharing
Jenny, we love Werther’s, too. SO yummy. Classic! Great recipe!
The cutest cupcakes! Love that giant drizzle of caramel. These look so good. ?
The carmel cupcakes sound delish..!
I have a question about the number of eggs needed for the cupcakes – does it require more the 1 egg??
I see more than 1 in the photo and the recipe is plural- wouldn’t want them to be a failure. Thanks!
my fav candy!! love that you used it in this cupcake!
One of my FAV combos! That caramel drizzle – yes, please!
Yellow cake is my FAVORITE, and then with all that caramel topping? You NAILED it with these babies! Pinned!
One of my all-time favorite candies!! Crushing them up into cupcakes is the best idea ever!!
Wow! thanks for the great recipe of Caramel Cupcakes,your posts are awesome 🙂
Ohhh my, I’m drooling! These sound incredible, and so easy with those Werther’s caramels! Still in love with your Kitchenaid, too. I sort of love everything about this post, lol.