These Caramel Cupcakes with Homemade Yellow Butter Cake are all kinds of delicious. Whip up a batch today!
What a treat partnering with Werther’s Original in honor of National Caramel Day! I’ve developed a cupcake that you are going to absolutely love. You have a homemade yellow butter cake with crushed caramel candies melted throughout when baked and my homemade buttercream on top with melted Werther’s Soft Caramels.
In celebration of National Caramel Day on Tuesday, April 5, Werther’s Original distributed 1 million pieces of rich, creamy caramel for commuters and candy lovers in the New York City area. They got to see Werther’s giant, 6-foot-diameter candy bowl for themselves on National Caramel Day, located near the Times Square subway entrance. How fun is that?! Wish I was there to see that!
Oh my goodness, I’m nuts for these cupcakes with Werther’s Caramels. Great for your upcoming parties! Hope you enjoy!
Your line up of ingredients.
How amazing are Werther’s Original Caramels? It was hard to not eat the caramels before I baked with them!
Candy-maker Gustav Nebel first introduced his delicious, iconic caramel recipe in 1909 in the small European village of Werther, Germany.
Using only the best ingredients — real butter, fresh cream, white and brown sugars, a pinch of salt and a lot of time — he created a treasure worthy of being wrapped in gold and named the candy Werther’s Original in honor of his village. Crafting this smooth, creamy caramel became a family tradition handed down through generations.
To start, cream your butter and sugar until well combined.
You’ll add your eggs and vanilla up next.
Stir in the sour cream.
Add half of your dry ingredients.
Half of your buttermilk.
Unwrap 12 hard caramel candies.
I placed them in a zip top bag and crushed with a rolling pin.
Stir in your crushed caramels.
This batter 🙂
Place batter into lined cupcake tins about 1/2-3/4 full.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 20-22 minutes, until baked through. Let cool completely.
Unwrap 20 soft caramels. Werther’s Original Soft Caramels is the newest addition to Werther’s and our softest caramel yet. Candy lovers can discover their softer side with the rich, smooth taste of Werther’s Original in soft, creamy caramels.
All varieties of Werther’s Original are available in grocery stores and retailers nationwide in several varieties, from hard, chewy, soft and filled caramels, to sugar-free caramels and even caramel popcorn.
Place into a small saucepan with a couple tablespoons of milk to melt.
Prepare the buttercream, scoop or spread onto cupcakes and slowly drizzle partially cooled caramel.
These could not be more beautiful and delicious. Hope you enjoy!
Caramel Cupcakes with Homemade Butter Cake
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 30 min
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (no substitutions)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 unwrapped Werther’s Original Caramel Hard Candies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 20 unwrapped Werther’s Original Soft Caramels
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Place butter and sugar into stand mixer, beat until well combined. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add half of buttermilk, half of dry ingredients then remaining buttermilk and dry ingredients mixing until well combined. Stir in Werther’s Original crushed caramels.
- While cupcakes are cooling, place butter into stand mixer and beat until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar until you’ve got a nice consistency. Stir heavy cream until smooth. Frost over cupcakes. Place Werther’s soft caramels and milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until smooth and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool until thick yet still able to drizzle. Slowly drizzle over tops of frosting and serve.
Makes 18 Servings
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Werther’s Original. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Picky Palate possible.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.