Mar
2008

Quick Weeknight Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Tags: , ,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. We took the kids to a Spring Training Cubs Baseball Game this afternoon courtesy of my friend Catherine. She was so kind set this up for my family. The weather was great today, perfect for a game. For the most part the boys behaved themselves, once we got some traditional ballgame favorites: ice cream, snow cones and churros. Thanks again Catherine!

I made these fun wraps a few nights ago and they were a huge hit with the family. Probably took a whole 20 minutes from start to finish. This dish started when I picked up a bag of “Broccoli Slaw” at Super Target. It looked really good and I knew I wanted to use it in something. My husband is on a health kick, so thought a lettuce wrap would be a nice light, easy on the braces type of dinner. My 3 year old loved the lettuce aspect of it, but my pickier 5 year old preferred the turkey filling by itself in a bowl. However your family prefers, I am sure this will be a hit.

I’m off to catch up on some of the shows we’ve tivo’d during the week. I am so happy Top Chef and Bachelor are back, and I’m sure it’s the most exciting Bachelor ever, as Chris Harrison says EVERY season!!

If you can’t find this broccoli slaw, you can finely slice carrots, celery, zucchini, cabbage and broccoli to equal about 3 Cups. Any asian style veggis will do.

Quick Weeknight Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Cup finely chopped onion
1 lb ground turkey breast
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt (I used Lawry’s)
1 12 oz bag of Broccoli Slaw (found it at Super Target, saw it at Sprouts also)
1 small can drained water chestnuts
½ Cup Yoshida’s Teriyaki Sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Approximately 15 Butter Lettuce leaves (you can also use iceberg lettuce leaves)

1. Place oil into a large 5 qt skillet or other large pan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Add ground turkey, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Brown and crumble until cooked through.

2. When turkey is cooked, stir in broccoli slaw, water chestnuts, teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Serve spoonfuls inside lettuce leaves. Enjoy!

Comments

Claire says:

1. Cubs game sounds wonderful! They’re my favorite!!!

2. This looks really good. I’ve never had lettuce wraps but have heard they’re yummy.

Seena says:

Your recipes and photos are really wonderful!!

Kim A says:

Girl…I want one! Can’t wait for Sunday dinner!

Barbara Bakes says:

I love lettuce wraps, but have never thought of adding broccoli slaw. Great idea!

Nicole says:

Go Cubs! DH and I met at a Cubs/Cardinals game.

Oh, and the recipe – I’ll have to check that out too. :)

Thanks Claire,
    You’ll have to try these, they are a breeze to whip up.

Hi Kimmy,
    Yes, we’ll see you Sunday night!!

Barbara,
    Crazy huh? It gave the wraps a great texture and was a cinch!

Steph says:

These sound wonderful! You have the best recipes!

Patsyk says:

I love the look of this! I have seen broccoli slaw at my grocery store, but wasn’t sure what I would do with it. I love your idea of the lettuce wraps (I am trying so hard to eat healthy – most of the time!).

Emiline says:

These look great! I love the second picture where the lettuce is sticking straight up into the camera.

Kevin says:

Teriyakied turkey lettuce wraps sure do sound tasty.

Thanks Steph!! I’ve been enjoying your blog too!

Hi Patsyk,
    I know, I’ve been trying to eat healthier, but I like to bake too much!!

Thanks Emiline,
    It’s like we’re inside the wrap!

Thanks Kevin!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Nice healthy low fat meal, great idea with the broccoli slaw too. Thanks!

RecipeGirl says:

Hmmm… I’ve never thought to use broccoli slaw. I do love these- they’re great as a make your appetizer platter too!

Anonymous says:

Great post from you :-)

Your a great cook and have a
    nice food blog.

I found your blog at Jeenas
    cooking forum http://www.jeenaskitchen.com

from
    SAM X

Thanks Marie,
    Now I’m thinking of other ways to use it, it’s a great product.

Hi Recipegirl,
    They do look nice on an appetizer platter. Nice and colorful.

Thanks SamX!

maine626 says:

saw your pic in the country living or country home (i got both and read them yesterday) on the contest winner of last summer – cute hat!! belated congrat’s.

maine626 says:

saw your pic in country living or country home (i think it was country living) about the cooking contest you won last summer. great pic and love the hat!!!

Maine626,
    I just saw the picture this morning as I walked into work. I had no idea the story was in the magazine. I cringed when I saw the silly picture with the cast iron skillet crown, but yes, that is what it looked like!! Goofy, but it was a fun event! Thanks for the belated congrats.

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Jenny,
    Oh, I hope you guys had a great time! I hope my bro was nice cause sometimes he’s a pill! Can’t wait to see the cornbread article in Country Living…I gotta go to the grocery store, so I’ll pick it up. And the lettuce wraps look so good! Now if only I could be healthy enough to really do them!!

Deborah says:

My husband was just saying that we should go down to Arizona next year to watch some spring training games, so he’s jealous!!

I love lettuce wraps, and these look wonderful!

Tarah says:

Oh wow; I actually had this the other day. But with chicken. Lol. Looks really good!

Jaime says:

your wraps look great, the lettuce’s green color really pops in your photos!

and i will be right there watching the bachelor w/you ;)

Big Boys Oven says:

wow! those wraps l;ooks good and delicious!

Claudia says:

I heard about your blog at a baby shower and now I can’t get enough of your yummy recipes. The lettuce wraps were delicious!

Scott says:

Hi – Your recipe looks fantastic. I’m actually thinking of making it tonight. Just one question – how many adults do you think this recipe can serve?

Thanks!

Thanks Everyone!!

Scott,
    This recipe fed 4 adults and 2 children with a little filling left over. Hope you enjoy!!

Leigh Anne says:

I made these for dinner tonight and they were so good! Last week I had tried a Copycat recipe for PF Chang’s lettuce wraps and your recipe is SO MUCH better and SO MUCH easier. The other recipe had about 20 ingredients and was so much work and didn’t taste nearly as good. I threw the other recipe away and I will be using this one from now on!

Leigh Anne,
    Thanks so much for your comment. I’m so glad you enjoyed them!!

Anonymous says:

Just made these and they are wonderful! Perfect for Spring and Summer. I used Teriyaki baste and glaze rather than regular, gives a sweet taste. Great either way!

carin davis says:

you had me @ your first recipe-
    but after the thin mint cheesecake cups and now this-
    you will never be rid of me!!!!

can’t wait to try it!!!

Deb says:

I finally tried these last night and they were wonderful! We ate them on whole wheatrt tortillas. We did think that they needed a punch of flavor so I think that I will add some minced garlic and ginger next time. But I will certainly be making these again. They were so easy which helps a lot. Thanks! ~

kevin.carly.elle.cooper.jack says:

I found your link on Lisa Harris’ blog and now have TWO favorites. These lettuce wraps were to die for last night and the Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Candy Cane Dusted Frosting I have made for two Christmases in a row. . .they are a family favorite. Thanks for the time you put into this blog. We all appreciate it!!

patti says:

i just made this for dinner and it was a huge hit…even with my 4 year old and 2 year old. the whole family ate it all up. i'm so happy to have another easy go-to meal. thanks!

Brandy says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was great! Plus it was really easy and my 5 year old liked it. I also think the leftovers tasted even better. I added some brown rice and extra sauce (because of the rice). I even froze half of the filling for an even easier meal in a few weeks!

[...] Lettuce Wraps with Turkey Quick Weeknight Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps from Picky Palate Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps from Shrinking Sisters Turkey Larb in Napa Cabbage from [...]

Alfie Davies says:

i love to eat freshly picked lettuce.`.;

we always want to put lettuce in our vegetagble salads and vegetable soups.~”:

i can eat raw lettuce and i love the taste of it. Lettuce is also very nutritious”~-

Lawn Aerator says:

i can eat raw lettuce because i love to munch them, they are really very tasty ;.’

Stylish, indeed. I enjoy your artical along with the appearance. I find it difficult to wait to give it a try in this test website. Your theme is very productive it is hard maintain with people. Clean and easy to read. Very wonderful blog. Great! I think it鈥檚 great.

Troy Persaud says:

Can any one essentially get a money bank loan with no any credit checks? They are short term monetary respites which aid reduce the worry and nervousness of getting to look for money at a moments see.

Good day I am so happy I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Google for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot
    for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Milan says:

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that
    it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.

I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be
    benefited from your writing. Cheers!