May
2010

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies….The LA Cookie

Tags: , , ,

Cookies

Woo Hoo, it’s Thursday!  So glad the weekend is almost here!

My friend Amanda of Kevin and Amanda, that I met last week at the Bertolli event joined me last Friday at my house for a baking extravaganza :)  It was a blast having her in my kitchen snapping pictures with me.  We both agreed we need to be neighbors!  Amanda has the sweetest blog ever, if you haven’t checked it out you must.  She has 2 of the cutest dogs I have ever seen and is a very talented photographer.  I just love her, can you tell?!!

Since we had the best time in LA last week, it was only obvious that we create the ultimate LA Cookie.  Amanda and I put our heads together and she found this awesome jar of burnt caramel sauce at the cheese shop we visited and we knew we wanted to add some sea salt, so with that in mind I came home and got to work on a fabulous “LA Cookie” recipe!

We used the muffin top pan to make giant cookies.  The more I use this pan, the more I am in love with it!  You’ve got to get one for yourself!

Hope you enjoy our cookie :)  Thanks again for coming Amanda, you must come back again soon!!

Here’s the awesome caramel sauce we found at the Beverly Hills Cheese Shop.  You can certainly use any caramel sauce you can find.  Even the Smuckers caramel ice cream topping would work.

Think we have enough cookie dough?  Lol!

Don’t be afraid of the salt, we put just a little and wished we would have added a touch more.  Great sweet and salty combination!

Mmmm, dark chocolate chunks!  I waited until this step and added them right on top so they are nice and chocolaty.

Now that is one fabulous looking cookie if I must say so myself!!

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies…The LA Cookie

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

1 Cup packed light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla

1/4 Cup burnt caramel sauce (you can use any caramel sauce here)

3 3/4 Cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

12 oz bag mini chocolate chips

1 1/2 Cups chopped good quality chocolate

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until well combined.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla following the caramel sauce until well combined.

2.  Place the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl; mix.  Slowly add to wet ingredients then the chocolate chips.  Save chunks for later.

3.  Place 1/4 Cup of cookie dough and place into muffin top cups.  Press down then sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt then press chocolate chunks over top.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just golden around edges.  Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.  Serve with milk!!

18 Large cookies

Thanks so much for coming Amanda, it was so much fun sharing my kitchen with you!!  Keep sweet talking your hubby into moving to CA :)

Be sure to take a peek at our latest adventures of the Bertolli Trip last week.  You can see my pics from the LA Farmer’s Market HERE and Chasing the Gourmet Food Trucks HERE :)

______________________________________

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!  See you soon with more good eatin’!

Comments

Amanda :) says:

Jenny! :) Thank you so much for opening up your home (and your kitchen!) to me. The cookies were *incredible* and I had the best time ever! If we were neighbors, you’d never get rid of me! You’d just have to put a cot up in your kitchen because I’d never leave! :D Can’t wait to do it again- soon!! Love ya girl! :)

lalaine says:

What a swell idea to use muffin top pans! The cookies are all the same perfect rounds. The OCD half of me would like to thank you for such an awesome trick.

GOSH! Those cookies look gooood!

Jamie says:

A muffin top pan? I have never seen one but boy am I buying one when I’m in the US this summer! Fantastic for cookies. And I love salty sweet and can so taste the slight tang of the salt in these. Super luscious cookies! I wish I was your neighbor!

Salt + chocolate = pure deliciousness!

Simply Life says:

WOW! Those cookies look amazing!

very cute! I have to get one of those pans!

Yum! Great idea using the muffin top pan!

These look TOO good!

Sara says:

They are huge cookies…I love it! :)

I seriously have to get this cookie pan and make these cookies! I love sweet and salty!

Hillary Crump says:

these sounds fantastic. You have to try the dark chocolate almonds that are sprinkled in sea salt and turbinado sugar from trader joes. They are addicting.

Steph says:

I am going to have to get a muffin top pan so I can try these cookies. Cute idea!

i almost don’t even have words to say how amazing these look and to express the fact that i want to bury my face in a pile of them. that sounds weird, but oh so true!

These look delicious! I would love to dunk these cookies in a glass of milk…yum!

Becki D says:

There you go again…..I must have some of these cookies ASAP! To the store I go for some dark chocolate… ;-)

Now this sounds like an amazing cookie! Chocolate, salt and carbs in one place! Sign me up.

Autumn Twig says:

Oh my my my my my my my my :)

muffin top pans? ive never heard of them before. gonna get to the store and get me some and then try this recipe! i’ve been enjoying seeing all the pix from your girls LA trip on Amanda’s blog!

Tracy says:

I’m drooling majorly while looking at these! How decadent!

carrian says:

These look fabulous

Mandy says:

Wow, those look FABULOUS! I looked up a muffin top pan on amazon last week (after seeing you write about them). Then, I later bought a father’s Day present for my hubby. Apparently I had unknowingly added the muffin top pan, too, because it arrived yesterday. Score! I was going to hold buying one until we moved, but I’m glad it arrived. Can’t wait to try it with these cookies.:)

ivoryhut says:

Um … uh … salted caramel and dark chocolate in cookies? Are you trying to kill me? Those look sooo good that I’m actually contemplating risking another allergy attack (I’m sadly allergic to chocolate). Oh my. I wonder, if I eat it really really fast, will the histamines in my body notice?

Cherine says:

those cookies are irresistible!

Helen says:

These look gorgeous. I love the combination of chocolate and salt so will definitely be making these!

What a cute picture of the two of you! These cookies, with the mixture of sweet and salty (I can never get enough of that), sound positively addictive.

Krystle says:

So cute! These cookies look to die for! Love the size :)

Omg these sound so amazing! Great site! I’m adding you to my blogroll :)

Becky O. says:

I love the combination of sea salt and caramel. I need to give these a try. Plus this might just be my excuse to buy a muffin top tin.

Jade says:

These look absolutely fabulous!! I can not wait to try them. Anything with chocolate and carmel has to be good.

maggy says:

I am drooling over these! They look so good! What is this cookie pan? I’ve seen you use it before and I LOVE how it makes the cookies turn out.

Michelle says:

Looks absolutely delicious! Love that combination of sweet and salty.

Katrina says:

I’m speechless and REALLY need to find that pan. (Amazon here I come!) Seriously, I love everything about those cookies!

Lucy says:

I love the idea of making cookies in this pan! And my the cookies look amazing – I’m going to have to go on a burnt caramel sauce hunt and make some VERY soon :)

Kristina says:

oh! these look delicious! your whole blog is delicious! (I just found it via Jessica / How Sweet, and I was going to make your Cookie Crispy Treats, but now I want to make THESE! Oh, I’m torn, should I make both??

…we will have company staying by the end of the week. so yes. I shall!

I’ve added your blog to my list of daily reading. Thank you for being awesome :)

betty says:

these seriously look addictive…… thanks for sharing! x

Macy says:

Thank you so much for the amazing ideas! I made these cookies and they were such a hit with my family I had to do a double batch! Love your blog!
    -Macy

Oh my god, these look amazing! Love the sweet/salty combination!

Amy says:

I bought the muffin top pan on Amazon after seeing your post about the XXL M & M cookies. I made them over the weekend–DELICIOUS. I was looking for another recipe to make cookies for my son’s preschool graduation on Wednesday, was thinking peanut butter but now I’m rethinking and maybe I’ll wow my pre-school moms and they’ll think I’m actually a BAKER. LOL! thank you so much for your wonderful recipes–I’ve shared your blog with so many of my friends.

So glad you found the muffin top pan Amy!! Trust me, you will use it all the time! I’ll be using for Teacher’s Appreciation Week for sure :) I think the pre-school moms will love these cookies, they really are so good and not just because I created the recipe :) Thank you for sharing my blog with your friends, I appreciate it. Have a great day!!

Kim Haddock says:

I loved the idea. I had to change it a little with ingredients on hand (dark chocolate syrup and butterscotch chips) but they were delightful. I have never had cookies turn out so perfectly round even without the muffin top pan. I now have to go out and get carmel sauce and more chips to try it the original way.

Laura says:

These look amazing. They are the perfect combination of sweet ad salty! Definately have to make these tonight. My family will just die! :)

Thank you so much for sharing your talent.

Fuji Mama says:

Mmmmmm, I’m a slave to all things Recchiuti! YUM! I love the idea of coming up with a recipe inspired by your weekend in LA and these cookies look amazing!

megan says:

Oh yea, cant go wrong with caramel, chocolate, and sea salt. I think these are just sinful and they keep screaming at me. Make them shut up!!!

Mary says:

Jenny, These are AMAZING…I made them the other day (complete in a muffin-top pan!) and they were truly decadent! I LOVE your blog, am a follower and inspired to cook again! Now I just have to run a bit longer on the treadmill to balance out allof the weight I’m gaining by trying out all of your fabulous recipes! (BTW, I mentioned you in my blog a few days ago as one of my favorite blogs.)
    ~Mary

terri says:

these look amazing! i found you thru a blog of a blog! i love your site! and such yummolicious recipes!! thanks for sharing!

M a r c says:

O.K. I have to declare that I am a sucker for cookies (and caramel). The recipe looks great although I have a preponderance of eating more cookie dough than actual cookies–I see your recipe as especially contributing to this “problem”…haha!

I am also especially excited by that kick ass cookie pan…! (But then did I hear mention of utilizing it for muffin tops?!!) D’you happen to know if there are other similar pans with different sizes in terms of the overall diameter and circumference? Bigger is always better…haha!

OMG, these look amazing! Definitly adding them to my recipe book, and will make them soon. Funny – I live in the UK now (moved from Canada 2 yrs ago) and when I moved here I noticed those pans all over the shops here. I think they call them a bun tin. I never quite figured out what they used them for here. I doubt it was cookies or muffins or anything, probably yorkshire puddings or something, I dunno. Now that I see this though, I just might go out and buy one! Would they work without the pan though?

linda says:

hi! found you thru the cookie network & really enjoyed reading this post & glances @ others…& bookmarked your blog….one quick question…can you give me guidance for the burnt carmel sauce…thanks so much…

Lindsay says:

Loved these cookies!! The saltiness was just perfect. I made these for my cookie crazy family and they devoured the whole batch and my sister left a note–“These cookies were SERIOUSLY good.”

Just to note–I used a regular cookie pan, regular size chocolate chips and plain ole Hershey’s caramel syrup. You can’t really taste the caramel, but maybe it gives the cookies a chewy texture? At any rate, they were incredible!

Andrea H. says:

I’ve made these twice now and they turn out sooo good. I have one question though, and it might be slightly foolish to ask (heads up). I am having the hardest time getting the cookies to come out of the pan and still be in one piece. Is there something special you are using? I let them cool like you have mentioned but still am having difficulties. Thanks!