Mar
2013

Pear Me Up Smoothie

Tags: , , , , ,

Drinks

Pear Me Up Smoothie by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

Jen and Cully 3-2013 smAnother addition to “Skinny Palate” today.

Hi, Cullen here, Picky Palate’s husband.  This is my debut recipe on Picky Palate.  I’ve been hounding Jenny for months to add juicing or blending to the website.  The hounding took it’s toll and she agrees that we should implement juicing and blending.  The first Juice recipe was posted in January 2012 HERE, and we’re pleased to post this blend recipe with a hope of many more to come.

We all know that eating fruits and vegetables are vital for our health.  How many servings are we supposed to get each day?  10, 15, 20?  I don’t know anymore and don’t care to google it.  Juicing or blending is a great way to achieve the serving threshold.  Juicing on one hand is fun but leaves much to be cleaned on the juicer.  It also leaves out the fiber.  Blending is quicker and easier to clean.  Not to mention we can take advantage of the fiber.

My kick with getting healthy started in early 2008 when we were living in Gilbert, AZ.  The previous year I had finished college so in 2008 my excuses were out.  It became to real to me when I couldn’t play more than 10 minutes in a basketball game and Jenny and I started watching our first season of Biggest Loser.  It all clicked, and immediately I started going to the local high school to run bleachers 2 to 3 times a week.  5 years later, I hit the gym 4 to 5 times a week and run–although, I admit I don’t have a desire to run a marathon nor a 1/2 for that matter.  8 miles has been my max thus far.  But, I’ve come a long way, since as a child I despised running.  Many people ask Jenny and I, “why aren’t you 100 lbs overweight?”  Well, we don’t eat every single crumb that Jenny creates; we sample here and there, and share with others.  We realize that fun treats are a joy to entertain with and to enjoy in moderation.  It’s all about balance.

Sometimes when I blend, the goal is to include enough nutrients while keeping the taste mild enough for our boys to not gag at the moment it hits their tongue.  This smoothie accomplished such.  Pears have garnered much of my attention lately.  A perfectly ripe pear has just the right texture and taste, so I wanted to try a blend incorporating pears.

IMG_0692

Here is your basic ingredients… pears, apple, avocado, kale, flaxseed, banana, and protein powder.  I found our protein powder and ground Flaxseed from Whole Foods, but you can find it at about any healthy grocery store.  Please note, I did not use the lime that is photographed here.

Pear Me Up Smoothie by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

Pear Me Up Smoothie

Pear Me Up Smoothie 1t Ingredients

• 2 pears, pit removed
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 avocado, pit removed
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple
  • 1 large kale leaf, no stem
  • 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
  • 2 cups filtered water
  • 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 scoop protein powder of your choice (I used vanilla)
  • 2 handfuls ice

Directions

1. Place all ingredients into your high powered blender, ice at the top and blend for about 50 seconds or until desired consistency. Please note we use the Blendtec, all blenders may be a little different.

Makes 48 ounces, (2-4 servings)

Keeps in refrigerator up to 4 days

Comments

I just posted a green smoothie recipe yesterday with spinach and banana! I love pears. There is nothing better than a perfectly ripe pear. Great smoothie!

I have never tried juices, but love smoothies! This one looks nutritious and delicious at the same time!

Tieghan says:

I need to try making this!! It sounds so fresh and delicious!! Oh and healthy!

What a healthy and tasty sounding smoothie!

I love it when the hubbys jump in! This looks delicious!

Love this new side of Picky Palate!! Gorgeous smoothie!

Hi Cullen! Nice to ‘meet’ you. My hubby blogs occasionally too and I think it is so fun to get a different perspective on a partnership.

What a great post!! I’ve recently started added avocado to smoothies and am blown away my the creaminess it contributes. I’ll be trying your recipe. Thanks!

Taylor says:

Yay! I am so excited to see “skinny palate” choices. I love all of Jenny’s recipes, and the lighter fare will be excellent, as well! My husband and I are avid blenders, and we look forward to seeing more recipes. =)

Welcome Cullen! Love this juice recipe!

Anna M says:

LOL! My husband started juicung this week and we have a vitamix too. So this post is just so timely. Thanks we’ll tryy it this weekend. Getting our daughter to drink any of the smoothies is always the hardest part.

I’m still in the basic stages of smoothies and such so I’m loving the ideas!

Great smoothie recipe, Cullen! We enjoy our smoothies at our house too – and I LOVE pears! Have to give this try!

I love skinny palate! And i love that your husband has made his blog debut, FUN! This smoothie sounds delish..Its what Ive been doing to get my son enough veggies..Im always looking for new combos, love this!

marla says:

Hi Cullen (& Jenny) LOVE the skinny pear shake :)

Mmmmmmmm…sounds PERFECT for summer and spring!!!

Amanda says:

Great post Cullen! :) The smoothie sounds wonderful :)

Loving the “Skinny Palate”!! the smoothie looks great- thanks Cullen!

naomi says:

Never thought about a pear in a shake, but yes, it would be good! And hey, nice to meet you, Cullen.

Hi Cullen! Thanks for this delicious smoothie recipe! I love new smoothies to try and this is the perfect one with pears!! yum :)

Cullen…this smoothie is amazing! I’m so happy you came on to share with us!

I had a feeling it had avocado, but I had no clue about the kale.

Cami D. says:

I especially love that you stated you didn’t use the lime. It does give a nice aesthetic appeal though! :) Great idea, Skinny Palate – I need that! :)

Jenjolley says:

Yay Cullen love it!

Aggie says:

I love this post Cullen & Jenny!!! I’m with you on the balance, and embracing a healthy lifestyle. This smoothie sounds perfect. I’m always happy to find a new smoothie blend to try on the kids :)

One more good recipe over here ! Thank you “Cullen Palate” ;o)

Welcome, Cullen! This smoothie looks absolutely delicious!

Great job Cullen! The smoothie looks pretty tasty. I love putting pears in my smoothies :)

Julia says:

I love the idea of pears in a smoothie! I am buying some and trying this out.

Chris B says:

Hey Cullen
    Thanks for the smoothie recipe, I can’t wait to try it. I have a juicer and it would be great to have more juicing recipes. Everyone needs a healthy treat. Thanks for your input.

Welcome Cullen! Love green smoothies, though I’ve never tried pears in a smoothie before. Bet it was delicious :)

Karen says:

This looks good. Enjoyed your post and your philosophy of being balanced in what you eat and incorporating working out in your daily life.

Janice Connolly says:

Cullen, Thanks for the recipe for this smoothie. I will for sure try it. Im excited about the Skinny Palate too. Thanks Janice

Hello and welcome, Cullen! Your write and recipe are awesome!
    My husband and I try to do our best with sweets too… taste some and share the rest with friends. :)

Cindy says:

My new flavor fav at the moment. I like how this is lightly sweet, with no bite. Not tart, or weird aftertaste. Best way to drink kale… for sure! LOL

thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more like this.

Such a great smoothie! I would happily slurp this down for any meal of the day!

Mirtha says:

great recipe, thanks! I was happy to read that it will keep in the fridge for 4 days. It is a bit of a task to make my smoothie every morning and some mornings I don’t have time. I do use a blender to keep the fiber. My smoothies have any combination of(depending what’s in my fridge) kale, cucumber, spinach, celery, parsley, nopal (cactus), banana, berries,green apples, small squirt of agave and a spoonfull of flax. I used a pear once but found it a bit too fibrous, perhaps it wasn’t ripe enough (I do eat only rock hard pears!). I’ll try a ripe one.

[...] Pear Me Up Smoothie | Picky Palate [...]

[…] Vanilla Smoothie, 231 calories, 5 PointsPlus Sunrise Smoothie, 332 calories, 8 PointsPlus Pear Me Up Protein Smoothie, 212 calories, 5 PointsPlus (for 4 […]