Apr
2013

How To Make Homemade Box Mix Style Brownies

Tags:

Desserts

I don’t know about you guys, but it’s hard for me to LOVE homemade brownies when box mix brownies are so good and….so easy. I’ve been playing around in the kitchen and have developed a recipe that is pretty darn close to that beloved box mix brownie. I tested them at room temperature and chilled. Both….amazing. They are dense but not too much and thick but not too thick. Just how I like them!

Hope you enjoy!

IMG_2565

Here’s what you’ll need to whip up a batch of your own. I used mini chocolate chips, but use your favorite chocolate chip. Up front in the glass bowls is flour, salt and sugar.

IMG_2568

Start by adding partially melted butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl.

IMG_2582

Mix until well combined.

Oil and vanilla

Add just a touch of vegetable oil and a splash of vanilla.

eggs

Add 2 large eggs and mix until combined.

IMG_2614

Time for the dry ingredients….flour, salt and baking powder.

IMG_2637

Cocoa powder, unsweetened.

IMG_2653

Chocolate chips! My favorite part :)

IMG_2662

IMG_2664

I had to refrain myself from licking this bowl clean. Best brownie batter ever!

Brownies in pan

Pour your batter into a parchment lined 8×11 inch baking dish. You can use a 9×13 inch but they’ll be much more thin and you’ll have to adjust your baking time. Same with a 8×8 inch. Thicker brownies and longer baking time. I find that this size pan was just right.

Once they cool, cut into squares and sink your teeth right in :) Enjoy!

How To Make Homemade Box Mix Style Brownies

How To Make Homemade Box Mix Style Brownies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 stick unsalted butter, partially melted
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. and line a 8×11 inch baking dish with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
  2. Place butter into a large mixing bowl and microwave until partially melted. Add sugar and oil, mix until well combined. Stir in eggs and vanilla stirring until combined then add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and chocolate chips. Stir until combined and thick.
  3. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool completely, about an hour. Lift parchment and brownies out of pan and cut into squares to serve.

Makes 12 brownies

Comments

Jenny it looks like you nailed them! They’re gorgeous! Recently I cheated on my 5 year old brownie recipe that was a melted choc recipe, with one that uses cocoa powder and I love it. I bet I would love yours too! Pinning!

They have *the* perfect texture! I can’t wait to make these. I do like boxed brownies but homemade really only take a few minutes extra so I don’t mind making them. Plus we don’t have any good box mixes over here so it works out just fine for me. :)

Tieghan says:

Jenny, Wow!!! What a genius Idea!! These look perfect in every way. I NEED to make these. Maybe even today since it is crazy snowing and I am not leaving the house!

Love chewy brownies…these look amazing Jenny!

I love trying different scratch brownie recipes, and no matter how tasty they are, my husband still has a soft spot for the box! This is a great recipe for us. They look like big slices of fudge-a-licious heaven!

WHat a great recipe! I’ll totally be trying these!

Making these ASAP!

I like my brownies gooey– can’t wait to try this fabulous recipe, Jenny!

These look perfect! Love the crackly top!

Jessica says:

Looking at this recipe and these pictures are not helping me to get motivated to work out this morning! All I want to do is make these right now and eat them for breakfast and skip the workout!! But maybe I will use this as a reward for my workout instead! :)

marla says:

Such a super smart idea Jenny ~ love your creativity!!! xo

Stefanie says:

When do you add oil? Looks great!

Stefanie says:

Oops, I see it in pictures but it isn’t in actual ingredient directions…

PW says:

Oh so decadent looking…you did not specify the type of Cocoa Power, but will try w/ Extra Dark which is my favorite. Thanks for the post!

Heather B says:

You left out the oil in the directions. Making these right now.

This is a bookmark FOR SURE!! they look totally incredible!

Ooo I’ve got to try these! Right away.

Christeena says:

These look delish but since I am elminating PUFA from our home, I will be using virgin coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil in your recipe. Thanks for the recipe.

Homemade brownies are so easy and always welcome!

Love the homemade version of a box mix!! It looks so chocolatey and fudgey good!!

Cindy says:

I would replace the GMO soybean oil with coconut oil. Veg oil is a rancid oil that causes inflammation in the body. Never use Veg oil made from Corn, Canola or Soybeans.

I’ll take two…or ten, please!

these seriously look amazing!! thanks for sharing Jenny!

These do look amazing, and they’re not much more difficult than boxed brownies anyways! Pinned, and definitely trying soon.

naomi says:

Yeah, these amazing, Jenny!

Totally drooling over here! These brownies look amazing, Jenny!

sara says:

Love this! These look so chewy and delicious. :)

These seriously look like absolute perfection!!!

Megan says:

I usually don’t bother with homemade brownies because I do like the box mix so much! Is that bad? lol. But these look fudgy and delicious – I’m not a fan of cakey brownies. And they’re so easy! I have all of these ingredients right now. Thanks!

Oh my word! These look like brownie perfection. I have been making the same brownie recipe for years because I think it’s the best…but your photos have me convinced to try these! In fact I think I need to go to my kitchen NOW and start baking :)

Lisa says:

I got so used to using those box mixes I completely forgot that brownies are super simple to make from scratch! I was reminded a few weeks ago when I tried my first gluten-free brownie recipe! Yours looks wonderful. :)

Jodi K. says:

Oh my goodness!! Just made and ate these!! They are so good, thank you thank you! Never buying box mix again. Very yummy!

Gaby says:

omg. so into this. I hear a new batch of slutty brownies with this recipe calling my name!

Renee says:

Oh how I wish it was my job to make and eat brownies. These look brilliant. Can’t wait to try them.

These look so dense and fudgy! I have to try them! My brother always says my brownies will never come out like box mix but I’m thinking he’ll change his mind after I use this recipe!

Judy says:

The pictures are only a hint of how tasty these are! Just now making this recipe and let me tell you, I was liking the batter right off my fingers before popping the dish into the oven! Love!

Sarah says:

They are perfect!! Made them and everybody loved them! Definitely one of my favorite brownie recipes!!

Jennifer G. says:

Oh Jenny…you just made this pregnant woman VERY happy! I will be making these for my kiddos tonight!

I’ve always wanted to be able to get the boxed mix consistency without having to use the mix! Thanks so much for posting this. :)

Oh yay! I (we haha), can’t wait to try these!!

Trudy L. says:

“Best Brownie Batter Ever” is the reason to ALWAYS make homemade brownies–licking the bowl. Brownie mix batter tastes horrible, but the homemade batter is SO good. Makes me want to go make some now, just to eat the batter. Plus, it really is just as easy as a box mix. I’ve made homemade ones so often, I can do it really fast, and without a recipe too.

Jody says:

So I was skeptical, because I have never tried from scratch brownies (for love of the box variety!), but WOW these are great! For an event this evening I actually made a box mix (I’m a Duncan Hines chocolate fudge girl!)and also this recipe….Not only did the appearance blow the box mix out of the water the taste was incredible! These are super fast, easy, and I LIKE THEM MORE THAN MY DUNCAN HINES! Another great recipe, Jenny–thank you much!

LOVE how easy these are! I cant wait to try them :)

Ailuros says:

I just made these and they’re almost exactly what I’ve been looking for! The texture is perfect, which is what the other recipes I’ve tried have been missing.

[...] know box mix brownies are your favorite, but you can make them at home [...]

Nicole says:

Hello! I’m a baker in AZ and made these brownies this morning. I cooked them for 35 min, and they had a great flavor but were definitely overcooked :/ I think they probably would’ve cooked in 25-30 minutes.

[...] Homemade Box Mix Style Brownies from Picky Palate [...]

Jillian I says:

Made these tonight! I’ve never made from-scratch brownies before because I’ve never been crazy about them when others have made them (it’s hard to replicate that box mix taste!). These brownies are super delicious though, and they don’t take much more time than a box mix.

I used a 9×13 pan because it was that or an 8×8, and I wanted more brownies! (I always use the 8×8 for box brownies so they’re super thick and decadent). I baked them for 30 minutes and they came out perfect — a slightly gooey inside and a crisp top crust. And, licking the bowl was an added bonus!

These are soooo good. And to me, they taste even better than the boxed versions! They do taste like the boxed kind. Just much better. So if you’re thinking about making these… do it! Thanks a ton for this recipe. I haven’t tried that many of your recipes but the ones I have are always absolutely amazing. :)

[...] How to Make Homemade Box Mix Style Brownies [...]