Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Desserts
Dec
2014

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Tags: , , , ,

Use my Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting for your favorite cupcakes, cakes and cookies….or with a spoon!
Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Oh my gosh….10 more days until Christmas!  Are you ready?  Are we ever really ready?  Ha!  I love this time of year so much, craziness and all.

Why is frosting so good?  Well I guess because it is mostly butter and sugar, ha!  I am in love with this peppermint crunch frosting.  It is good enough to eat right from a spoon or use it to frost your favorite baked goods.  It’s really good with graham crackers too!

Break out some butter and be prepared to fall in love with this recipe!

Enjoy!

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Powdered sugar and butter baby!

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Those of you that use essential oils, go find your peppermint one.  Use 10 drops.  If you don’t have essential oils, use 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract that you can find in the baking section of your grocery store.

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

I cannot say enough about this bag of crushed candy canes.  It’s made for baking, so it doesn’t get all melty and sticky.  I found it at World Market…$2.99.  I need to go grab another bag, it’s awesome.

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Add 1/4 cup crushed candy canes to the frosting, beating to combine.

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting
I mean come on!! This stuff is dangerously delicious.  Enjoy!

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream Frosting

Peppermint Candy Cane Crunch Buttercream FrostingPrep time: 5 min | Cook time: 0 min | Total time: 5 min

Ingredients

• 2 sticks salted butter, unsalted
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 10 drops Peppermint essential oil or 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 1/2 cup crushed candy cane pieces for baking

Directions

1. Place butter into stand mixer and beat until well combined. Slowly add powdered sugar, peppermint and candy cane pieces. Beat until combined, but be cautious to not over mix. Remove and store in an airtight container for up to 7-10 days. If you refrigerate, thaw to room temperature before using.
  2. Use frosting for your favorite cakes, cupcakes and cookies….and crackers…and with a spoon.

Makes Enough frosting for 12 cupcakes or a 9 inch cake.

FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.

Comments

Karen says:

Actually a question…salted or unsalted butter….

Karen says:

I am sorry…thinking you meant, softened butter, unsalted…thanks…looks yummy!

It’s perfectly acceptable to want to faceplant into the bowl and eat my eat my way out before even putting this frosting on anything right? It looks PERFECT. Pinned!

10 days????? OK, a little bit of Christmas panic just hit. I’ll need that bowl of frosting and a spoon to cope, please and thank you!

This peppermint buttercream frosting is right up my alley with Christmas right around the corner.

Of course I’m in love. It involves peppermint! Fun.Fun. And yes…how is it only 10 days away. Goes too quickly!

Enjoy your week Jenny!

Amanda says:

I’m dying for this frosting!! xoxo

Frosting perfection!

All I want for Christmas is a giant bowl of this frosting.
    And a new purse.

Omg, this buttercream frosting is to die for!!

This looks amazing! Thinking I’m going to make it for a chocolate layer cake. 🙂

Whoa baby!!! Now, that is what I call holiday frosting! Pass the bowl!

Beth says:

So, if no one else in my family likes peppermint (I KNOW, they are freaks, right???) is it perfectly acceptable for me to eat this all by myself??? Yes? I thought so! 😉

Buttery yum! I want this slathered all over a dark chocolate layer cake!!

This would be so fantastic on the chocolate cake i’m planning to make Christmas day!

Yes, Yes, Yes, and did I say Yes! Frosting is my favorite part of any dessert. No kidding, I could leave the cake any day if I can just have the frosting!

Beverly T. says:

I’m going to make this to top some sugar cookie cups for a party tonight. Yum!!

I would be scared to make this because it would never make it to the cake!

naomi says:

Hand me a spoon! I could eat it just like that.

Gaby says:

I’m definitely going with the spoon! This looks fantastic!!!

Matea says:

Frosting just got so much better! Yum! 🙂

This photo!! I love it so much!

This looks unbelievably good!!

marla says:

Jenny!!! This frosting is so fabulous!!

I want to spread this on everything!!!!

Oooh I LOVE this! I need to find a bag of those crushed candy canes – genius!

Taylor says:

Do you think this would be good as a filling for “sandwich” cookies? Do you have a chocolate cookie recipe that would be good with it? Thanks! I want to try something new for the holidays!

[…] this chocolate cake recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction and topped it with this to-die-for peppermint buttercream frosting from Jenny at Picky Palate. It was ridiculous and I plan on making it every year from now […]

samantha says:

can you use regular candy canes or does it have to say “candy cane pieces for baking”

stephani says:

do you use both unsalted and salted butter? if so y both and not just one or the other?

[…] Spread the joy. Recipe here. […]

[…] the frosting click here. This one is by Picky […]

Susan says:

I had to add a couple tablespoons of milk to make it a buttercream frosting, otherwise it was just a butter sugar crumble. I used crushed candy cane pieces. It was better the second day. 😉

[…] candy cane bits right into frosting. The crunch from real candy cane pieces in this recipe for Peppermint Buttercream Frosting at Picky Palate will have people craving more—even if you use it to ice store-bought or cake mix […]

KA says:

Here’s a heads up. Picky Palate blogger neglected to mention that unless your butter is VERY soft, you will tear up your cake trying to frost it. I don’t know if she ever used the frosting for anything other than eating it off a spoon, but it’s not the easiest to spread on a cake.

[…] Peppermint Candy Cane Buttercream Frosting via Picky Palate […]

Your info is very interesting.|

[…] chose the chocolate peppermint brownie cake from Tidy Mom’s blog along with the peppermint candy cane crunch buttercream frosting from Picky Palate (click links for recipes). Needless to say the two complimented each other quite […]

Karla says:

Does the butter need to be cold or room temperature?

Sam says:

It’s best room temp. If you are in a rush. Put hot water in a tall glass, empty it and put it over the butter for about 15-20 mins, then repeat if needed till its soft.

Anna says:

When you say 2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter, how many grams or ounces is that? I’m in Australia. Thanks.