Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Breakfast and Brunch
Feb
2015

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

Tags: , , ,

Ever wanted to know How To Make The Perfect Waffles?! I’ve got you covered. I perfected some pretty amazing waffles that I can’t wait to share with you.
How To Make The Perfect Waffles

I can hardly contain my excitement today.  I have finally developed a perfectly buttery crisp waffle that is better than any waffle I’ve ordered out.

I have learned that it’s important to get to know your waffle maker.  They are all going to cook a bit different, so test out timing with the first one to make sure you get the perfect golden brown color and crispness.

The KitchenAid Waffle Baker is seriously the best waffle maker I’ve ever worked with.  I’ve had it for a couple years and forget how much I love it everytime I bring it out.  If you are in the market for a new one, I highly recommend this one.

Hope you enjoy my latest recipe!

How to Make The Perfect Waffles

Start by adding your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.

How to Make The Perfect Waffles

Melted butter, buttermilk, milk, egg yolks and vanilla into another mixing bowl.

How to Make The Perfect Waffles

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and give a stir.

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

Beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold them into the batter until just combined.

How to Make The Perfect Waffles

Be sure to not skip this step.  The egg whites keep the waffles perfectly light and crisp.

How to Make The Perfect Waffles

Scoop 1/2 cup batter into the center of your waffle maker.  Close lid and let cook for about 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

You’ll have crisp yet soft and tender waffles ready for the perfect breakfast or brunch.

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

If you are crazy like me, drizzle these with my homemade buttermilk syrup.  Pretty much the best thing ever.  It is one of my favorite recipes in my cookbook.  Enjoy friends!

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

How To Make The Perfect Waffles

How To Make The Perfect WafflesPrep time: 15 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 20 min

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl, stir to combine.
  3. Place egg whites into a medium mixing bowl, whisk continuously until stiff peaks form.
  4. Place buttermilk, milk, melted butter, vanilla and egg yolks into a large bowl, whisk to combine then slowly stir into dry ingredients. Once combined, fold in egg whites until just combined.
  5. Scoop 1/2 cup of batter and place into center of waffle iron, close lid and let cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2 1/2 minutes depending on your waffle iron. Remove hot waffles and place on cooling rack. Continue cooking waffles until all batter is used.
  6. To prepare buttermilk syrup, place butter, sugar and buttermilk into a small saucepan. Stir until melted and comes to a low boil. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Syrup will foam up. Let sit aside and stir occasionally until foam has gone down.
  7. To serve, place waffles onto serving plates, top with fruit of choice and drizzle with warm buttermilk syrup.

Note: I use the KitchenAid waffle baker. Cooking time will vary per brands of waffle irons. Test out one waffle to see how long baking time is.

Makes 10 Servings, using 1/2 cup batter per waffle

FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.

Comments

These do look SO SO perfect! That golden brown, crispety outside is making me swoon! I love that you made your own syrup too..pinned!

Aggie says:

I reeeallly need to get a waffle maker. These look amazing!

Those waffles look amazing!

Tiffany says:

I love waffles! Thanks for the great tips! 🙂

These look great and I will have to try out your version.

I just recently made waffles this way!! They really are perfect and light!

Kathy says:

I simmer my syrup for about five minutes after it has come to a boil. It gives it a more golden color and the taste is caramel-like. So delicious!! (I also add the soda in the beginning. Make sure you put it in a larger pot, because it will grow!)

I’m always tempted to be lazy and skip folding in the egg whites, but it is WORTH it. Your perfectly fluffy and crisp waffles are the proof!

Totally trying this version! Your waffles look super fluffy and gorgeous!

That’s some really gorgeous. Too tempting and mouthwatering. They look fabulous!

AMAZING fluffy waffles Jenny!

I made some homemade waffles this weekend and used egg whites too! They were really good but for some reason they just didn’t crisp up as much and didn’t get nearly as bronzed, even with my KA waffle iron. What temp and how long did you cook them for? These babies are GORGEOUS!

Naomi says:

I love a good waffle and these look perfect!

Rachel says:

YUM! I am so making these next weekend! I am drooling on my computer!!

marla says:

These sure do look perfect Jenny!!

Waffles are one of our faves! We’ll have to try your recipe for sure!!

Leah says:

I made these today for my kids and they are PERFECT!!! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

these look fabulous – the perfect weekend breakfast! yum!!

Heather says:

I am so excited to try these! My very favorite and waffles in the whole world are the ones a t Disneyland in the Mickey shapes. I have never found some I like more than those but these look close!

Gaby says:

These waffles do look perfect! I wish I had a plate full!

I’ve never put whipped egg whites in my pancakes, definitely going to have to give that a try!

Emily Salsky says:

These look delish! I saw you and your hubby walk out of Liberty Market today! I was feeding my twins in their stroller and realized it was you as you passed by. 🙂

There is nothing quite as yummy as waffles for breakfast! Your syrup looks delicious too!

Matea says:

Waffles are one of my favorite breakfasts! We usually substitute coconut oil for butter and they turn out so soft and yummy!

Marly says:

These look like the perfect crispy on the outside, tender on the inside waffles!

My kids love waffles, but I always forget to get my waffle iron out too. These really do look amazing! I can’t wait to try it!

Nicole says:

Oh Goodness. Time to dust off my waffle maker!

Those are some of the prettiest waffles I’ve seen Jenny – love the buttermilk in both the waffles and syrup, and the beaten egg whites must make these extra fluffy. I have lots of kitchen appliances, but I don’t have a waffle iron – might have to finally get one so I can try these 🙂

Annalisa says:

Every Tuesday night in our house is breakfast for dinner, so tonight I made these waffles, but I used whole wheat pastry flour and coconut sugar. They were delicious!

Kris says:

Will have to try that recipe and if it gets the thumbs up from my daughter. Trying to get her off the Bisquick mix.
    $299 for a waffle maker? I think not.

My husband was just saying it’s been too long since we’ve had waffles. Definitely going to make these this weekend. I love my KitchenAid Waffle Baker, truly the best!!

Candi says:

My kids bought me a waffle maker! That should tell you how they feel about them.

When I make waffles I triple the recipe & freeze them in bags of 2. Great for big kids to pop in the toaster for breakfast. Yum!

I just had waffles and I wish I had the buttermilk syrup recipe beforehand. That looks marvelous. I guess I will just have to have them again.

Michelle Saroki says:

What kind of waffle maker ?

Patrice says:

It sure should be the best waffle maker for that price.

[…] Chip Banana Bread – Itty Bitty Cinnamon Roll Bites – How to Make the Perfect Waffles – Peanut Butter and Jelly Skillet Monkey […]

Whitney says:

I made these tonight with my new waffle maker and they were wonderful! My husband didn’t even need syrup and that’s a huge accomplishment, let me tell you, lol. This recipe is a keeper, thanks so much for sharing it.

Nice recipe. And the waffle looks definitely perfect.

Rebecca says:

That ratio seems off. Do you ready mean an entire cup of butter? Two sticks?

michele says:

Just made these this morning and the whole family devoured them…even my youngest picky eater son. Hubby responded: “These are the best waffles I have ever eaten!” Yep-it’s a keeper recipe…thanks for sharing it. :0)

Danan says:

Hi I just made these and they seem really greasy and heavy. The recipe calls for 1 cup of butter, is that correct?

Margaret Ann says:

Just finished making these and they were delicious! Even my husband proclaimed them “Great!”…I usually get a “Good.” Will be making again!! Thanks for a terrific recipe!

Lauren says:

Hi, OMG these waffles look sooooo yummy, I can’t wait to try it!!!!!
    Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

Karen says:

Made these this morning and they were a huge hit! Lightly crisp on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside. Don’t even need syrup, they melt in your mouth! Definitely making this my go-to waffle recipe! Thanks!!

Kristen says:

Yum!!! I love a good crispy waffle. I will be making these soon. I have two different waffle makers because I couldn’t commit to one waffle shape, round or square. Hee Hee!

Teresa says:

I was intrigued by the addition of the whipped egg whites. I will definitely add that technique into my weekend waffles! However, I question amount of butter. There is no way 1 cup is correct. I used my usual 1/4 cup of melted butter. And next time, I will likely use less sugar. Too sweet for my taste. It is probably what helps make the crust extra crispy. The sugar seems to caramelize on the waffle iron.

Jen says:

These are the most incredible waffles I have ever tasted

10. What is the CSS selector string that would
    find all the elements inside one other aspect?

Honey Ant says:

I’ve made these 3 times now and they’ve worked perfect each time! Lovely recipe 🙂