Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Dinner
Apr
2015

Tags: ,

I’ve got The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning to share with you today! No more buying those packets from the grocery store, you’ll have the BEST right at your fingertips.
The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

I bet you’ve got just about all of these ingredients in your pantry right now.  With just 5 spices, you’ll have a jar of amazing homemade taco seasoning ready for your beef, chicken or seafood recipes!  It’s actually even really good sprinkled in your scrambled eggs, chicken, beef, pasta and in mac and cheese sauce.  Lots of ways to use it!  Be sure to check out my Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken that uses this seasoning too!

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Here are your 5 ingredients you’ll need to get your taco seasoning ready to go.  I don’t know about you, but I go through a LOT of ground cumin, so I always have the big bottle at hand from Costco.  I make lots of Mexican dishes 🙂

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Let’s start with the cumin.  Right in the bowl!

Kosher salt up next.

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Garlic Salt and freshly ground black pepper in the bowl.

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Last but not least, smoked paprika.  Loooove this stuff.  Make sure you get “smoked.”  Makes a big difference.

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Look at these pretty spices!!

Mix ‘er up 🙂

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Place your new taco seasoning in an airtight container and use as you’d like!  Use about 3 tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of meat.

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Be sure to check out Amanda’s new Chicken Fajita Pasta recipe today that used my Homemade Taco Seasoning!

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

The Best Homemade Taco SeasoningPrep time: 5 min | Cook time: 0 min | Total time: 5 min

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic salt
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons smoked paprika

Directions

1. Place all ingredients into large mixing bowl, stir to combine. Place in an airtight container. Use as desired to taco seasoning on ground beef and chicken breast.  Use about 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning per 1 pound of meat.

Makes Makes about 1 cup

FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.

Comments

I always make my own taco seasoning and this one looks great!

marla says:

I need to make a big batch of this seasoning to have handy!

Naomi says:

I totally need to get on this. I’m always patching it all together when I need it–having it all made just makes so much more sense.

We use taco seasoning constantly!! I need to whip up a huge batch of this.

Alright, you’ve convinced me! I’m jumping on the homemade taco seasoning bandwagon! xoxo

I bet that I would save a ton of money making this from scratch. It would be a great gift in a Mexican gift basket as well. 😀 I’m going to a wedding on Cinco De Mayo, so this would be a great addition to the newlyweds’ present.

Amanda says:

Love how quick and easy this is! So great to always have on hand. The flavors are SPOT on!! 🙂

Stephanie says:

My husband loves Ortega, but I have just been looking into making my own taco seasoning and enchilada sauce. Thanks!

I used to make taco seasoning. I just buy Penzy’s now but I also don’t make tacos as much. Maybe I should get back to it as tacos are one of my guys favorites.

Justinas says:

One of my absolute favorites.

this looks awesome!! I love Mexican food too! 😉

Alexandra says:

Hey there! Would you use water with the seasoning like you would if you used a packet? If so how much? Thanks! 🙂

love this great easy seasoning! how convenient to have some homemade seasoning on hand all the time!

Rachel says:

This sounds so easy and yummy! I already have all of the ingredients 🙂

I’ve gotta make some of this taco seasoning at home… I love it!

There’s nothing better than homemade! This looks perfect!

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’ll be using it very often since I love a weekly taco night.

Happy Wednesday 🙂

Karen says:

I make my own taco seasoning too. This looks like a good recipe. I have to make mine without salt…for my husband. I know, I know…..the spice combination looks good though.

Mary says:

Do you think garlic powder would work instead of garlic salt? I am also watching my salt intake. I can’t wait to try it, my son has tacos weekly!

Barb says:

This is the saltiest seasoning I have ever tried. We were not able to eat the taco meat I created with it. Perhaps it should have been garlic powder rather than garlic salt…but honestly no matter how you look at it, it’s just too much salt. Threw away the meat and all the rest of the seasoning mix I made. Think this one needs revision!

Abby K. says:

I used this to make a Mexican quinoa salad, and it was way too salty for me. I like the spice to the recipe, but next time I think I am going to use garlic powder instead of garlic salt.

Julia says:

I also made a batch of this seasoning and it was incredibly salty. I also only used 2 tablespoons for a pound of ground beef, rather than the 3 tablespoons as recommended in the recipe. Ended up throwing out the leftover taco meat and the remainder of the seasoning mix.

I think if I were to make this over again, I would just leave out the kosher salt entirely, replace the garlic salt with garlic powder, and then add salt to taste.

[…] Meanwhile, cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, and season with 1/2 packet (1.5 tablespoons) taco seasoning. I am using our favorite homemade taco seasoning. […]

lila says:

Oh my gosh. I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt and it was still way overkill on the salt. Something is amiss and needs to be corrected. I just wasted a whole bunch of seasonings. 🙁

Shirley says:

i tried your homemade taco seasoning mix last night. Soooo good!! Thanks for sharing.

[…] a packet of taco seasoning… I am using our favorite homemade taco seasoning […]

[…] 1 envelope (3 tablespoons) taco seasoning […]

[…] carefully add the diced onions, bell peppers, corn and a little bit more seasoning. I am using this homemade taco seasoning for both the chicken and […]

Dena says:

Tried this last night and it had good flavor, but was way too salty. my 11 year old son said it first and he eats tacos like they’re going out of style. Of course I made a big batch of meat. I might make another batch of seasoning w/out the salt and mix it with the rest of this first batch and hopefully it will be okay. was disappointed.

Mary says:

Can I substitute garlic powder and salt for the garlic salt, and if so, what would the ratio be? Thanks much!

Joyce says:

Seems like a lot of salt to me.

Juliann says:

I followed the taco seasoning recipe and made this with Amanda’s Fajita chicken Pasta recipe… but the entire dish came out so salty.

Allan says:

Great dish, chicken fajita pasta, very tasty, we halved the quantity of salt in the seasoning and used garlic powder but still too salty

Kelly says:

I wish I’d read reviews before trying. Way too salty. Was this supposed to be garlic powder instead of garlic salt?? I hate that I wasted all that cumin and paprika because I have to toss this. 🙁

Jack says:

As I read the recipe I thought wat too much salt. Should that be garlic powder?

[…] Homemade taco seasoning– I made this seasoning for chicken tacos this week and it was really good! After watching […]

Titan says:

This sounds good. Does anyone know does it taste like the taco packet seasoning cause I hate that fake taste. Thanks

[…] 1 envelope (3 tablespoons) taco or fajita seasoning (I use this Homemade Taco Seasoning) […]

David says:

How much water do you use for this

David says:

How much water do you put in this

Candiss says:

I am a firm believer of the rule, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. However, I am about to break it. I feel the need to warn others. THIS IS TOO SALTY!!! I blame myself for not reading the comments and for not trusting my instincts when I was adding 1/4 cup salt and 2 teaspoons of garlic salt. Duh! I feel awful for feeding this to my family. It smelled wonderful, but was not.

If you have read all the comments and you still plan on trying it, I would recommend only making 1/4 of the recipe so you don’t waste spices.

Titan says:

Ok, so this is the best taco seasoning mix ever. I HATE, HATE the taste of that packaged stuff ie(like taco bell). This DOES NOT taste that that stuff. And the difference is this has no chili powder in it. Dont get me wrong, I like chili powder when it is cooked within recipes, but not added at the end. We add this to our refried beans,Cheese sauce, spanish rice,fajitas, grilled chicken. You want a killer rcipe, merinade your chicken in pickle juice over night, then coat with this….AMAZING.It is so expandable where you can use it. Someone had said it was way too salty, but not if you use Kosher salt. They must have used table salt in which, yes it would be way too salty. 20 STAR RECIPE

Candiss says:

I used kosher salt. It was too salty! Your reply cannot be serious.

• 43.1.1
        Titan says:

Everyones tatse is different. Make another batch and leave the salt out. You could probably mix the 2 together, there you go!

• 43.1.1.1
          Smalltowngirl68 says:

Seriously..if 1/4th of a cup of this is salt and your tastebuds dont tell you its wrong..you might have your sodium levels checked.

Stephanie says:

Like many others, way too salty… Love the *flavor* and the whole family agreed it would be good to make again without the salt. I like a previous commenter’s idea to make without the salt and then season to taste. I’m not quite ready to give up on it, but this recipe definitely needs some adjustment.

Kim says:

I wish I had read through the comments before making this! This is way too salty and I love salty foods. I’m going back to Penzeys.

Jennifer L. says:

This mix would have been really good but for all that salt. I knew it was too much when I was mixing it, and used less. Still way too salty. 👎🏻

Jennifer L. says:

This mix would have been awesome but for all that salt. I knew it was a lot when I was making it and I used less than the recipe called for. It was still ridiculously salty. Next time I try this I will be cutting out the salt completely and adding it to taste at the end of cooking.

Monique DC says:

Seems a bit heavy on salt: recommend you substitute GARLIC POWDER for Garlic salt. And I was surprised there was no chili powder in the mix (used to work for a family owned Mexican restaurant. We always included chili powder (not too much) because it brings a great heat to the meat.

Elise says:

Love this recipe, i’ve used it before but typically would use 1 T for every pound of meat…tonight I did 3 T as suggested, and it was WAY too salty. My husband and I found it hard to eat. I definitely will keep making this, but start with one tablespoon per pound instead of 3 (at least for ground beef) and you’ll love it!
    Thanks for the recipe! I love this with feta and guac!