Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Dinner
Jan
2019

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning

Tags: ,

I’ve got The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning to share with you today! No more buying those packets from the grocery store, you’ll have the BEST right at your fingertips.
Homemade Taco Seasoning

Taco Seasoning coming your way!  I bet you’ve got just about all of these ingredients in your pantry right now.  With just 5 spices, you’ll have a jar of amazing homemade taco seasoning ready for your beef, chicken or seafood recipes!  It’s actually even really good sprinkled in your scrambled eggs, chicken, beef, pasta and in mac and cheese sauce.  Lots of ways to use it!

Be sure to check out my Grilled Taco and Lime Chicken that uses this seasoning too!  On Instagram?  Be sure to follow Picky Palate on Instagram for sneak peeks on what’s coming next to the blog!

How To Make Taco Seasoning?

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Here are your 5 ingredients you’ll need to get your taco seasoning ready to go.  I don’t know about you, but I go through a LOT of ground cumin, so I always have the big bottle at hand from Costco.  I make lots of Mexican dishes 🙂

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Let’s start with the cumin.  Right in the bowl!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Kosher salt up next.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Garlic Salt and freshly ground black pepper in the bowl.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Last but not least, smoked paprika.  Loooove this stuff.  Make sure you get “smoked.”  Makes a big difference.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Look at these pretty spices!!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Mix ‘er up 🙂

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Place your new taco seasoning in an airtight container and use as you’d like!  Use about 3 tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of meat.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning
Prep Time
5 mins
Total Time
5 mins

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Mexican
Keyword: best homemade taco seasoning, best taco seasoning, homemade taco seasoning, how to make taco seasoning, taco seasoning recipe
Calories: 89 kcal
Author: Jenny
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic salt
  • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients into large mixing bowl, stir to combine. Place in an airtight container. Use as desired to taco seasoning on ground beef and chicken breast.  Use about 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning per 1 pound of meat.
Nutrition Facts
Dietary Fiber 9g 36%
Sugars 1g
Protein 4g 8%
Vitamin A 140.1%
Calcium 13.8%
Iron 28.6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Pin Homemade Tace Seasoning

homemade taco seasoning

FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.

Comments

Sara says:

I just did the math and wondered if this would be much too salty. Now, reading the comments I believe I will make another batch without salt and combine. Thankful I only did 1/4 of the recipe to try. I might just add some chill powder as well. Has anyone else done this?

Ashleigh says:

My husband and I love the flavors in this taco seasoning, but like most people have said, it’s way too salty. The flavors are great though, so I suggest using WAY less salt. I don’t know exactly how much salt I use when I make this, but it is significantly less. Add salt to your liking:)

Lisa W says:

I did the math as well and knew this recipe was going to be insanely salty…compare it to PW’s taco seasoning. Can’t imagine the commentors that made it and didn’t find it salty!!?

Sara Walerius says:

I made this tonight, and it was terrible. So salty we couldn’t eat our dinner. Had to throw it out. What a waste of time

Frankie says:

WAAAYYYY too salty! I recommend cutting the salt in half, at least. Between the salt and garlic salt, there is too much for the recipe. From what I could taste beyond the sodium chloride, it seems like a solid taco seasoning recipe. Play with it and make it your own!!!!

Meg says:

This seasoning is nearly inedible. Way too salty.

Rhonda says:

Thank you for sharing. That’s very kind of you!!! I look forward to trying this tonight on Kevin & Amanda’s Fajita Pasta dish. Love bloggers who share their secrets with the rest of us 🙂

[…] a lot of people a little something without breaking the bank.  My brother is a big fan of this Mexican spice blend.  I load it into a small jelly jar like this one, put a merry tag on it and poof, Christmas gift […]

Michael says:

This has way too much salt, of several kinds. I would cut it by 3/4

Smalltowngirl68 says:

It must be a Texas thing but I’ve never heard of traditional taco seasoning without chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder.
    The ratio of salt and garlic salt to the other 3 ingredients is way off as well.

Very interesting recipe…Ilove to use Cumin n most meat dishes…but I do find it very strong and overpowering so I will use 1/2 a qtr cup..Also as there is also Garlic salt in the recipe I will opt for half of the salt you recommend. So here goes…Cheers.and Thanks…ff

DebInTN says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have been making my own taco seasoning for years because the packaged stuff is too salty (not to mention all the unpronounceable ingredients either!).
    I was searching for an alternative to my usual and came across yours. As a personal preference– I did lower the salt by half and swapped garlic powder for the garlic salt.
    This recipe really tastes fantastic. I made a big batch and put it in a mason jar with one of those Parmesan cheese lids. Now I can just sprinkle it on the meat!
    Again–thanks for sharing!

LW says:

There is no way you used the same identical ingredients and the same amount called for and can say that!
      This recipe is screwed up and 99% of the reviews are proof! Such a shame the owner doesn’t revise it or DELETE it!

86Natasha says:

I see you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: best adsense alternative
    Wrastain’s tools

Devashish says:

We do not get garlic salt easily in India. Any recipe for that or substitute?

Crysbsh22 says:

I made this tonight and it was way too salty, ruined the tacos. Not sure if typo in recipe, I double checked it twice.

Dana M usick says:

I made this taco seasoning and was hesitant with “about 3 tablespoons per one pound of meat” so I used two and still was way too much . Are you sure it isn’t 3 teaspoons? Be careful, we could not eat our tacos!

Debbie says:

Way too salty!!!

[…] The Best Homemade Taco Seasoning:  ground cumin, salt, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika.  Regular paprika works too.  […]