This rice krispie treat recipe could not be more drool worthy and perfect for parties! Packed with peanut gooey marshmallows, crispy cereal and butter cups…it’s a huge hit with guests!
Rice Krispie Treats
You’ve got to make these perfect rice krispie treats for your next party!! If you are a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup fan like we are in this house, then you will want to make these asap! The kids will love helping with this one, it’s great for the whole family, hope you enjoy!!
Try my Toffee Rice Krispie Treats Recipe too! Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration.
What You’ll Need
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make the best rice krispie treats!
- Rice Krispies Cereal– Make sure you get the Kellogg’s brand, not the off brand.
- Mini Marshmallows– Mini marshmallows can be found in the baking isle of the grocery store.
- Creamy Peanut Butter– Use your favorite brand of creamy peanut butter.
- Chocolate– If you have a Trader Joe’s close by, I use the milk chocolate block and chop myself, it’s wonderful.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups– Use regular size or minis and chop.
Time to melt your marshmallows, either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Once melted, add to your rice krispies cereal.
Gooey fantastic! Tip: Butter your mixing spoon, it’s much easier to stir. Don’t forget to mix ingredients quickly before mixture starts to set up.
Prepare the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Layer
Place the peanut butter into a heat proof bowl and microwave until melted and thin. Add chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups to your peanut butter.
Gently stir and pour over krispie treats.
Let the chocolate peanut butter layer set up then cut into squares and serve!
Tips For Making The Best Krispie Treats
- Use fresh marshmallows and cereal. If your marshmallows are old and stale, your treats won’t be great. Brand new bag of marshmallows and cereal recommended.
- Careful when melting your butter, if you brown it, krispie treats tend to be dry.
- By adding slightly more marshmallows, you’ll get a gooey-er krispie treat.
- Add pure vanilla extract or even vanilla bean to your melted marshmallows. So good!
- Butter your pan generously before adding krispie treats to set.
- Butter your hands before pressing krispie treats into pan. Lifesaver.
- I even butter or spray my mixing spoon with cooking spray to stir mixture. Helps big time.
- Add your favorite chocolates to the mix. Chocolate chips, M&M’s….sprinkles. Get creative. Lots of fun options.
Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 large bag mini marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 2 Cups creamy peanut butter
- 50 mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups quartered
- 1 1/2 Cups melted chocolate to drizzle
- Place cereal into a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Place marshmallows and butter into a large bowl and microwave until puffed up, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the marshmallow mixture from the microwave and pour into cereal. Mix to combine, then pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish and press to make even.
- Melt peanut butter until nice and runny, about 45 seconds. Pour in quartered peanut butter cups, stir gently then pour over treats.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over top and refrigerate to harden. When set, cut into squares and serve!