I’ve got the best rice krispie treats recipe for you! These treats are packed with soft gooey marshmallows, crispy cereal, and sweet hints of vanilla. You are going to love them!
Table of Contents
- Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- What You’ll Need To Make Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
- How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
- The Secret To Keeping Rice Krispie Treats Soft
- How To Serve Rice Krispie Treats
- Mix-In Options
- How To Store Leftovers
- Recipe Tips For Success
- You May Also Like
- Get the Recipe
Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
What makes the perfect rice krispie treat? If you ask me, it’s ooey gooey with soft marshmallows and that nice sweet vanilla flavor with crispy cereal. I have the perfect krispie treat recipe for you that will have your guests requesting the recipe!!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- They’re the gooey-ist most delicious treats you’ll make!
- These treats are vanilla sweet and crispy.
- This recipe takes just minutes to make!
What You’ll Need To Make Perfect Rice Krispie Treats
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make the perfect treats. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- Rice Krispies Cereal– I’ve tried off brand cereal and to be honest, it’s worth it to use the original Kelloggs Brand Rice Krispie Cereal. It’s crispy and keeps its crisp once hot marshmallows are added.
- Mini Marshmallows– I always use mini marshmallows when making rice krispie treats because they melt quick. Make sure to check your marshmallows that they’re soft and fresh, not hard. You want to use fresh marshmallows. Makes a big difference.
- Butter– In most of my recipes, I use salted butter. I like the little bit of salt with the sweet bars.
- Pure Vanilla Extract- An absolute must for the best tasting rice krispie treats, is using pure vanilla extract. Real vanilla makes a big difference for treats.
- Kosher Salt– Just a touch of salt is added to counter the sweet.
- Granulated Sugar– An optional, but delicious option is to mix together granulated sugar and ground cinnamon and sprinkle it over the top of the rice krispie treats.
- Ground Cinnamon– Again, the cinnamon and sugar is optional, but give it a try if you love cinnamon/sugar.
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
Prepare The Pan. Lightly butter or spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Add The Butter. Place butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium low heat. Stir to melt.
Add Marshmallows. Add 8 cups of mini marshmallows to pot. Reserve 3 cups mini marshmallows for later.
Stir and Melt. Stir marshmallows and butter together until melted and smooth. Pour in pure vanilla extract and add salt. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and swiftly stir in cereal.
Watch Heat. Make sure your heat isn’t too high. Keep it a nice steady medium-low. Keep an eye on the marshmallows as they melt, stir often. Once they’re melted, stir in cereal.
The Secret To Keeping Rice Krispie Treats Soft
I’ve put together the perfect ratio of marshmallows to butter, but the secret is don’t over melt your marshmallows. The very minute they’re all melted remove from heat and stir in your cereal. Overcooked marshmallows will equal hard treats.
Add Remaining Marshmallows. Once combined, add remaining 3 cups of mini marshmallows to the warm mixture. Stir gently and not too much. They’ll melt just slightly. You want them to melt just slightly. This keeps your treats nice and gooey.
Transfer Treats To Pan. Transfer rice krispie treats to buttered or parchment lined pan. I put a little softened butter or cooking spray on my hands to gently press treats into pan. Don’t press too hard, just a gentle press.
Cool and Set. Let your rice krispie treats cool and set for 30 minutes before cutting into squares. At this point, you have perfect traditional rice krispie treats. Serve them like this or choose to add the cinnamon sugar topping like I have below.
For a delicious option, mix together your sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top of the treats. It’s my favorite way to enjoy them!
I call these my Churro Rice Krispie Treats! Give them a try.
How To Serve Rice Krispie Treats
Serve your treats room temperature cut into squares on serving plates or parchment paper. Note that the treats will stick to napkins, so don’t serve the treats on top of a napkin. They’re great for parties of all occasions and Holidays. A classic dessert everyone loves.
Try mixing in M&M’s, chopped up candy bars, chopped cookies (Oreos) and even sprinkles to your treats. Try drizzling with melted chocolate too. Lots of options when it comes to making krispie treats.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftover treats in an airtight non-stick container room temperature for up to 2 days. These are best enjoyed day 1 or 2.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Make sure you are using Kelloggs Rice Krispie Cereal, the off brands don’t seem to be as crisp.
- Check your mini marshmallows to make sure they’re fresh and soft. Sometimes when they’ve sat in the pantry for too long, they get hard.
- Use pure vanilla extract for your recipe. Really makes a big difference in taste.
- Use a plastic knife to cut into squares to prevent sticking. I cut into squares before the treats get to room temperature. Still somewhat soft makes for easier cutting.
- Don’t press your treats firmly in the pan, this can sometimes cause the treats to be hard. Gently press them down without making them flat.
- Use a little softened butter or cooking spray on your hands to press warm treats into pan. Prevents it sticking to your hands.
You May Also Like
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Dutch Oven or large pot
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- mixing spoons
- plastic knife for cutting treats into squares
- 10 tablespoons salted butter 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons
- 11 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 cups Kelloggs Rice Krispies Cereal
- Lightly butter or spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium low heat. Stir to melt then add 8 cups of mini marshmallows to pot. Reserve 3 cups mini marshmallows for later.
- Stir marshmallows and butter together until melted and smooth. Stir in pure vanilla extract and add salt. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and swiftly stir in cereal. Once combined, add remaining 3 cups of mini marshmallows to the warm mixture. Stir gently and not too much. They'll melt just slightly. Transfer mixture to buttered/greased pan. Add a little softened butter or cooking spray to your hands and gently press treats into pan without pressing flat. Let treats cool before serving. Use a plastic knife to cut into squares while still slightly warm. The plastic knife will prevent sticking.