Pepperoni Pizza Mac and Cheese
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! We are enjoying our family this week, definitely my favorite time of year 🙂
I love making new mac and cheese recipes. This fun spin on pepperoni pizza is absolutely a treat inside my homemade mac and cheese. How can you go wrong with extra cheese and pepperoni? This is a great weeknight meal or perfect for Sunday dinner with a nice side salad.
Give this one a try, it does not disappoint 🙂
Let’s take a look.
Here are your ingredients. Pretty basic!
I used a small rigatoni, but use whatever small pasta you’d like.
Rinse your pasta with cold water to stop the cooking 🙂
Saute those onions in some olive oil.
You’ll add some lovely chopped bell pepper.
Take some pepperoni’s and slice them in half.
Add them to the pot and give a good stir.
Let’s make the cheese sauce for the mac. Melt 1 stick of butter in a large pot.
Whisk in your flour, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
Slowly whisk in your milk until nice and thick.
Stir in your cheese until nice and smooth.
Add your cooked pasta and pepperoni mixture to the cheese sauce.
If you like black olives, add those too, otherwise leave them out.
Give a good stir, taste and season with additional seasonings if needed.
Transfer half of the mac into baking dish and spoon marinara sauce over top.
Top with remaining mac and cheese.
Top with more cheese and time to bake!
Pepperoni Pizza Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound box small dry pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups halved pepperoni slices
- 15 ounce can black olives, drained (optional)
- 1 stick/8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose Gold Medal Flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups milk (I used skim)
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce (I used skim)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in large 5 quart dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper, cooking and stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in pepperoni and olives. In a separate large dutch oven or pot melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt pepper and garlic salt until thick. Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high stirring until nice and thick. Once sauce is thickened, reduce heat to low. Stir in 3 cups of cheese then stir in cooked pasta and pepperoni mixture. Add splashes of milk to thin out cheese sauce to your liking. I added about 1/2 cup. Transfer half of the mac and cheese to prepared baking dish and top with remaining marinara sauce. Top with remaining mac and cheese then remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and serve.
Makes 8-10 Servings
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.