This Cheesy Chicken and Rice is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe! It’s a creamy, flavorful rice dish that’s packed with chicken, vegetables and just the right seasonings.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Chicken and rice recipes are some of our very favorites to make during the busy weekdays. You are in for such a treat with my Weeknight Cheesy Chicken and Rice recipe! I love making quick and simple weeknight dinners. My family goes nuts for this flavor packed one pot dinner Weeknight Chicken and Rice. Love that you won’t be making a huge mess in the kitchen with this one. One pot dinners are my favorite! I used a rotisserie chicken for the chicken in this recipe. Feel free to cook your own if you desire. Pre-chopping your veggies helps with your prep time.
Ingredients For Chicken and Rice
- olive oil– I always use extra virgin olive oil for my cooking
- carrots– You can get baby carrots and chop them or peel whole carrots and dice them.
- celery– Wash your celery stalks and dice them.
- onion– I generally use white onion for my cooking
- garlic– To avoid chopping fresh garlic, you can use the already minced garlic in jars. Check the produce section of the grocery store.
- chicken broth– Look for low sodium chicken broth.
- white rice– In the rice section of the grocery store, many times you can find rice that is cooked, just needs microwaved. Saves more time.
- paprika– Any dried paprika is fine.
- garlic salt– Lawry’s is my go to for garlic salt.
- red pepper flakes– Pour red pepper flakes into your hands and rub together for more flavor added to the dish. Wash your hands immediately after.
- chicken– Shredding rotisserie chicken makes for easy weeknight dinner prep.
- parsley– Fresh parsley needs washed, dried and chopped.
- cheddar cheese– Mild shredded cheddar is a good choice, however your favorite blend works great.
How To Make Chicken and Rice
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute carrots, celery, onions and garlic for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
Pour in chicken broth and stir in rice. Cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Stir and season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt and red pepper flakes.
Stir in chicken and parsley. Top with cheese and cover with lid to melt. Remove lid and serve warm.
If you would like, this recipe makes a great freezer meal too. Make a double batch and freeze one dinner for another time. Perfect for giving to a friend in need as well.
Tips For Making Cheesy Rice
- Use cooked proteins from the grocery store to help save time. We like to buy a couple rotisserie chickens at the beginning of the week to use for a couple dinners during the week.
- Pre-chop veggies ahead of time. This is a huge time saver as well.
- Try to map out a meal plan at the beginning of the week so you are not at the grocery store numerous times buying groceries for dinner.
How To Serve Chicken and Rice
This meal is so great on it’s own, but try serving with a side of roasted vegetables, a nice chopped salad and a loaf of crusty bread for the table to share.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Re-heat in a microwave save bowl/plate as needed.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- cutting board
- chef knife
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute carrots, celery, onions and garlic for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir in rice. Cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Stir and season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt and red pepper flakes.
- Stir in chicken and parsley. Top with cheese and cover with lid to melt. Remove lid and serve warm.
Pin To Your Favorite Recipe Board