May
2009

10 Minute Creamy Purse Pasta and Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad…

Tags: , ,

Dinner

Good early Monday! Where on earth did this weekend go? Hope you all had a nice one.

Here’s another fun fun fun Trader Joe’s find that was really good. I was browsing through their refrigerated fresh pasta section and came across this pasta they call Perline. They look like cute little purses, I couldn’t resist. Stuffed with Prosciutto and cheeses, this girl was in heaven. Now, I know I sound like a broken record, but if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s around check your grocery stores fresh pasta section for something similar. They are really tasty. To make the sauce a bit creamy, I added a little buttermilk and let me tell you I am so excited to try using it in more sauces and soups. It’s much lower in fat than the heavy cream I ususally use, very exciting! Hope you all enjoy this quick and easy dinner!! Check out the pecan chicken salad below before you go, it’s really good too.

Get your hands on this pasta, you’ll love it!

10 Minute Creamy Perline Pasta

1 lb Perline Pasta or other pasta of choice

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 cloves fresh garlic, minced

26 oz favorite pasta sauce

½ Cup low-fat buttermilk

Salt and pepper to taste

½ Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese for garnish

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic for 1 minute then stir in pasta sauce. Heat for 5 minutes then stir in buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta and reduce heat to low until ready to serve. Sprinkle each plate with fresh grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

______________________

This salad could be a dinner in and of itself. It is full of great flavors, you’ll hardly realize you are eating a salad. Enjoy!!

Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing

Heaping ¼ Cup honey

Salt and pepper to taste

Mixed greens of choice

Sliced cucumbers

Cherry tomatoes

Crumbled Feta cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a shallow bowl mix the Panko, parmesan and pecans. Set aside. In another shallow bowl mix the flour, salt and pepper. In a third shallow bowl whisk the egg and water. Dredge each chicken breast into the flour mixture, the egg mixture then press into the pecan crust. Place each chicken breast onto a greased baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into thin strips.

2. To prepare dressing, mix the mayonnaise, mustard and honey into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Place salad greens onto serving plates and top with pecan crusted chicken, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. Drizzle with dressing.

Have a great start of your week, I’ll be back soon with some crazy good sweets for your sweet tooth! Check me out at Just-spotted Tuesday, they are spotlighting little ol’ me. Thanks ladies!!

Comments

Kristen says:

I love that you make your own salad dressing! (I usually use Renee’s) – yours sounds so tasty!

Patsyk says:

That pasta sounds amazing! I’ll put it on my list!

I also love using different nuts to make a crust on chicken, try cashews next time!

Jennie says:

This sounds delish! Your right about Trader Joes – I love that store – great wine deals too. I’m going to look for this pasta.

Barbara Bakes says:

I so wish we had a Trader Joes in Utah – the pasta looks delicious!

michelle says:

Im trying the pasta this week; It’s on my menu! Thanks for the recipe!

Allie says:

I wish we had a Trader Joes down here in Texas, you always find the best stuff!

Sara says:

Yum, that pasta sounds delicious! My hubby will love that salad, since he’s a huge fan of honey mustard.

Lisa says:

I love the perline pasta. Just made it a few weeks ago.

Lynda says:

This looks so delicious and easy! I don’t have a Trader Joes anywhere near, so I’ll have to improvise.

Sara @ Our Best Bites says:

Man, I miss Trader Joes! We don’t have it here where I live now. I’m thinking about writing them a letter. Think they would build one just for me? :) The pasta looks super yummy!

Kara says:

We don’t have a Trader Joes :(, so I hope I can find something similar.

I found that Chicken Salad recipe a few months ago and we love it!!! The homemade dressing is just heavenly!

Bob says:

Ooooo, that pasta looks good. I wish I had a TJs nearby.

The Inexperienced Foodie says:

YUM YUM! when am I coming for dinner? lol

Kerstin says:

I find something new in TJs every time I’m in there! I will definitely check out their fresh pasta now – thanks for the recommendation! Your salad looks lovely – pecans are just so tasty!

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

Ooh, I’ll have to look for that next time at TJ. My kids love tortellini, so this would be a hit I know!

HoneyB says:

It all looks and sounds so good!

Mandy says:

YUM!!! I need an excuse to drive to Baltimore for a TJ shopping trip!

the ungourmet says:

I haven’t seen this at TJs. I will have to look for it! The buttermilk is an awesome idea. I have been using it more lately in my baking but I will have to try it in other ways too.

I also love the photo of the dressing being poured into the bowl. Great shot!!

Kathy - Cooking On the Side says:

What great little “purses”! I’ll be on the lookout for those at Trader Joe’s. I recently discovered that my little girl enjoys tortellini (she ate nearly as much as I did!) so I’m sure these will go over well too.

Sweet Charity says:

I’ve been on a buttermilk kick lately too… it’s been finding it’s way into everything from biscuits and ice creams to salad dressing and soups…
    I wish we had Trader Joe’s up here!

Gabi says:

Shucks!

I went about three-four times around the frozen section of Trader Joe’s but never found it? I am sad!

Anyone experiencing the same thing in their TRader Joe’s???

A desperate Gabi @ Mamaliga

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom says:

That pecan coating looks delicious. Kind of reminds me of your amazing walnut-crusted tilapia recipe … a definite favorite around here w/ Josh, Simon and hubby, Tim.

Pam Shank says:

Very nice article Jenny,congratulations. Your recipes are always super but I am happy to see you get such great opportunities to be involved with all of the other things you do.

Debbie says:

Both of dishes look great. Love honey mustard dressing, especially home made…

biz319 says:

Not only do I love buttermilk, but now I am reaching more and more to fat free half and half – it makes everything so creamy!

I’ll have to check these out next time I am at TJs.

Abby says:

I always find something fun and new at TJ’s, although I have to travel far to get to one! We’re headed to the beach in a few weeks and a stop at this beloved store is in order.

Cute blog. CUTEST BANNER EVER.

Thanks for stopping by!

(And my word verification below was: twitter. Crazy, huh?)

Chef Chuck says:

Hi Jenny, That pasta looks great, I will pick up some at my next visit to Trader Joes. Thank You :)

Marta says:

The dressing you made for this salad looks amazing. I can’t wait to try the salad!

This looks AMAZING! On my list of things “to make” for sure!

Tracy says:

This pasta looks AMAZING, and I’m definitely going to keep an eye out for it so I can make this!!

This pasta looks absolutely delicious! I’ll have to buy it when I see it!

Wow, this looks an amazing pasta dish! Love it!

The perline are adorable and sound so tasty. Who can go wrong when pasta is stuffed with prosciutto?!

Fuji Mama says:

LOVE the idea of adding buttermilk to a sauce–MUST try that STAT!!