Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Tags: , , , , , ,

I LOVE Fall cooking and baking, so much delicious comfort food right?!  Wait until you try this fabulous Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.  It is comfort food at it’s best and the kids LOVED it.  Despite my 2 stinkers being nervous about the  “black looking” rice,  they took one bite and gobbled it down in no time.  With the kids back to school, it’s nice to have some hearty weeknight dinners….this one is delish!

I will say, go find yourself some wild rice like the one I found at Trader Joes.  It’s fully cooked and ready to be eaten once it’s warmed.  I use it for soups and a zillion other recipes.  If you don’t have Trader Joes near by, check your grocery store it’s absolutely worth it!  Worse case scenario…..use all white steamed rice :)

Here’s your line up :)

Dice your veggi’s

Get them ready to saute…

…..saute in a nice big pot.

add in both rices, seasonings and chicken.

Time to make the cheese sauce…melt your butter, add the flour, seasonings then whisk like crazy while stirring in your chicken broth :)

Add your cheese to the sauce then once melted pour into rice mixture….mmmm!

Transfer it all to a nice baking dish :)  xoxox Emile Henry.

Add some cheese on top and it’s time to bake!

Here is the gorgeous masterpiece you will find when your timer goes off :)  Enjoy!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 Cups steamed white rice
16 oz prepared wild rice (I get mine at Trader Joes, LOVE it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Reduce heat to low.

2.  To prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into cooked rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.  Serve.

8-10 servings

Amanda :) says:

Oh good heavens girl, that looks incredible!! :) I know what I’ll be making this week! :)

That looks so good! I am definitely going to add it to dinner one night this week – pretty simple too!

Anything with cheese and rice can never be a bad thing. My son would eat this up in about 2 seconds!! Love it!!

Cheri says:

I am bookmarking this right now! Love how colorful and comforting it looks. We are big rice fans so I’m sure it will be a hit.

Skye says:

OMG this looks DELICIOUS! I think I will make it for Bible study tomorrow night! YUM!

Perfect fall casserole!

This looks like true comfort food! Yum!

the best part is i have every ingredient! can’t wait to try this this week!

Yum! My kids might even eat this! :)

Helen says:

This looks DELISH, already have dinner planned for tonight, but this will be on tomorrow’s menu 😀

This is the perfect fall recipe! It’s on my menu for the week! Thanks!

Eliana says:

This looks so incredibly delicious. Can’t wait to make this for one of my dinners one day.

Tracy says:

Looks delicious and chock full of veggies! Yum!

My mom used to make something like this for us when we were kids and I always LOVED it!!!!! Totally going to make this for her next time she in in town :)

What a great dinner- everyone here would love this. I like to keep some of the pre-cooked rice on hand for those days when I’m short on time. Thanks!

Beth D. says:

Yummo! Will be making this tomorrow night…sadly our nearest TJ’s is 50 minutes away, and no time to run there tomorrow, so will be cooking the brown rice from scratch…:)

Heather says:

This looks so yummy Jenny! I can’t wait to try it. I think my little ones would love it.
    Love the photo’s!

Jenny, this casserole looks amazing. It is the perfect one pot meal. Love that there are veggies in it too. The cheese sauce makes it a simple sell for the kids :) xo

This looks like a delicious casserole! I love the combo of cheese and rice…you can never go wrong with this flavor combo!

Julie says:

Looks delish, I can kinda picture it stuffed into an acorn squash too.

I adore Trader Joe’s, that recipe looks delicious! I may need to make a trip there this weekend and whip that up :) Gotta love Fall comfort food!

This looks like such a comforting (and quick!) meal for autumn. There is nothing better than a one-pot meal that kids will gobble up.

renee-ashley says:

girl this look amazing im planning n making this, but my dad is allergic to onion is there a substitute i can use or is the onion just for a little taste

SO glad I stumbled over this recipe! I have leftover chicken and have been trying to find something new to do with it. Jackpot! I can just taste it now… mmmmm!

Deborah says:

I have some leftover chicken from a roast chicken, and I’m betting this would be a great way to use it up!

Kim in MD says:

This looks fantastic, Jenny! What a fabulous, Fall dish. I love that Trader Joe’s sells cooked wild rice- I will have to look for it! I also love the tip about cooking chicken breasts in the crockpot with some chicken broth. I have never done that before but will definately try it! Thanks!

Jill says:

I made this tonight and it was incredible. Perfect for fall weather here in North Dakota! Everyone loved it and I have a ton left over!

Rebecca says:

This recipe looks delicious! I headed to TJ”s today and bought the wild rice, but forgot to get white rice… do you think it would be okay to add extra wild rice instead of the white rice? Also, do you prepare the wild rice as directed on the package, or just add straight from the package since you will be eventually cooking it?
    I love your blog and all the wonderful recipes. Keep ’em coming.

Melissa says:

I’m planning to make this tonight for me and the boy — I anticipate half of it will be gone the way he eats 😉 I’m going to do all brown rice (reduced to 3 cups) and add a cup of broccoli. So excited about cooking this dinner!

Katie says:

I made this last night and wow is it delish! I used a brown and wild rice mix and it worked really well! I’m excited to have the leftovers for lunch. :)

This is my go-to site when I’m searching for recipes. They are all fabulous! THANK YOU for sharing!

zestycook says:

I made this tonight minus a few things as we were low on groceries but it was awesome!!! One picky palate picked off the cheese but overall the crowd loved it!

Jason says:

Great looking recipe. Nice twist on the classic chicken and rice casserole. Bet it was full of flavor!

Pam says:

Ummm! Love that cheese sauce with it. Love casseroles like this!

megan says:

Thanks for tip on the precooked wold rice. I’ll have to check that out. The casserole looks delish!

Sandy says:

This looks awesome, I can’t wait to try it! Any idea if I could double the recipe and freeze the second casserole for a future meal?

Linzie says:

I made this last night for dinner and my picky little 20 month old even loved it. Thanks for cooking and sharing!

Doni says:

I was on a health food kick a while ago, and purchased Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, in Brown and Wild Rice. But I never found any reason to use it until last night when I made this casserole! :) I barely had enough left to put in a Tupperware to bring to work today! Thanks for your super family-friendly recipes!

Amanda says:

I can never reply to your SU shares, it always gives me a message of “too many shares” :-/ Anyway, this looks wonderful!

Grace says:

This would make an amazing take along dish. My kids would probably have the same reaction to the wild rice. I usually pick up a couple of roasted chickens at Costco for sandwiches and stuff during the week, this dish would be perfect to utilize the chickens as well.
    Thank you for sharing. Btw your pics are amazing!

Jamie says:

This looks seriously so good. I love comfort food and this fits the bill.

[…] 22, 2010 Filed under: Uncategorized — justalittlesomethingsweet @ 11:12 am i made this for dinner last night (and am currently eating the left overs right now). it is so […]

Janet says:

I am sitting here, eating this very recipe as I type… It is SO SO GOOD! I subbed Trader Joe’s brown rice in a pouch for the white rice but otherwise followed it. Yum!

My husband keeps going back for seconds, and second seconds… Always the mark of a good recipe!

Thank you!

AmandaK says:

This was GREAT! and smelled fantastic cooking…

Jenny, this looks delicious. Hope your kids got over the “black rice.” Made me think of my own rice story: My mother liked to tell about the day I came home from second grade and announced that I had to take my lunch the next day because they were serving porcupine meatballs. She could not convince me that it was just ground beef and rice and NOT porcupine meat. I wasn’t taking a chance, though.

Shelli says:

I made this last night for dinner . . . we loved it! Used TJ’s frozen organic brown rice in lieu of the white rice and it was fab! Thanks especially for the “heads-up” on the prepared wild rice – such a huge timesaver during the busy week.

Newlyyoung says:

Awesome recipe! Can’t wait to try it! So glad I found you. As a die-hard food blog junkie, I think I have found my new favorite fix!

One thing I thought you might want to note: “Veggies” is plural form. “Veggi’s” uses the possessive apostrophe s, which would only be appropriate if you were talking about a veggie’s taste, for example. If you were refering in plural possessive, it would be the “veggies’ color”, for example. :-)

cheree says:

Made this a couple of nights ago. Amazing. The cheese sauce really made the dish. It tastes even better as leftovers.

Annie says:

Made this last night and it was wonderful. We had so much I’m sending some over to my mom otherwise we would be eating this for a week (not that it is a bad thing).