May
2008

Back Home and Mmmm, Massive Cookies!!

Cookies

It’s nice to be back home! We’ve had a wild and crazy long weekend in the beautiful Pinetop area of AZ. So long, that I didn’t make it to the Daring Baker’s Challenge this month, I’ll be back and refreshed for next month!

It wouldn’t be a trip away from home without some kinks, so I went first by getting a fabulous sore throat Friday, then my little guy got a non-stop cough all day Monday! Thank goodness all is well today, now the unpacking and washing begins.

There’s just something about being away from home that justifies eating like maniacs. Talk about feeling like a glutten! I thought I’d stay away from the kitchen, but we had a beautiful newly remodeled kitchen to use, courtesy of my sis-in-law’s family and I couldn’t help myself! One of the nights for dinner, I made a huge pan of lasagna that was so yummy, I’ll have to make it again and take pics of it. I’ve got to take it easy this week, my hips are going to be the size of Texas!

Before I left, I made these gigantic cookies from Anna’s Cookie Madness Blog. I saw this post on Anna’s blog a couple weeks ago and knew I had to make them. These cookies are a copycat version of Levain’s Bakery in NY. They make their cookies big and beautiful! I was so excited to see that Anna made a copycat version, I was all over it!

They turned out big, soft and perfect. I was very happy with them and hope to visit Levain’s Bakery someday, I think I’d order one of every cookie!

Levain Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Copycats

8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups BREAD flour (13 1/2 oz)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 to 1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped, untoasted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Beat butter and both sugars just until they come together. Don’t overbeat. Add the egg and beat just until incorporated. Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. When thoroughly mixed, add to batter and stir just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. The dough should be neither sticky nor dry.

Divide dough into about 12 mounds, but keep the mounds kind of raggedy. That is, don’t smash them into compact balls. Bake on ungreased insulated cookie sheet or an upside down rimmed cookie sheet for 20 minutes at 350. Cool on sheet for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

This should make a dozen 4 oz. cookies or eight 6 oz. cookies.

_______________________________________

Here are some of our adventures over the weekend. The boys were so excited to have snow to play with Friday morning. This is soooooo not typical where we live, so it was very exciting. We didn’t pack snow boots or gloves, but they still stomped around for a while.

Here was us trying to take a decent photo: One kid picking his nose, the other trying to break free and it looks like I’m trying to sport some wierd side hawk! Hopefully I’ll have better luck next time.

I’ll be back soon with some fun new recipes this week! Have a great week!

Comments

Steph says:

Welcome back! It seems I was the only one stuck at home this weekend with a sick family. So miserable, we couldn’t leave the house. :( Oh well, the cookies sound soooo delicious! I saw them on another blog recently too, and I was thinking I should try them out..
    Have a great week!

Lisa says:

I have been dying to make those cookies! Sooner or later. Thanks for sharing the vacation pictures. What cuties you have!

momof3crazykids says:

I’ve got to make those cookies. I think I have bread flour in my freezer. What is the difference? I had bought it by mistake one day and couldn’t throw it out so I stuck it in the freezer.

Prudy says:

These are on my list also! Glad you had a good weekend and that you got some snow to temper the effects of a long AZ summer.

Hi Steph,
    I know what you were going through with the sick family! And I wasn’t in my own home!

Hi Lisa,
    You’ll love these!

Mom of 3,
    I’m not sure exactly what the difference of bread flour is, but it makes for a great cookie!

Hi Prudy,
    I was glad I got around to making these, as a matter of fact, I’ve got some more dough in the fridge that I can munch on too!

The snow was nice for a day!

Emiline says:

Welcome back!
    The snow looks amazing. You guys looks so cute!

I’ve been wanting to try these cookies too. Maybe tomorrow! They look awesome.

RecipeGirl says:

I love the description of your picture :)

I’ve been wanting to try these cookies too. Glad they turned out wonderful!

Deborah says:

I’m glad you had a good weekend – it sounds like fun!!

These cookies look so delicious! I haven’t been wanting anything sweet lately, but these look so good that I want to go home and make them right now!

Brad and Kimberly says:

you know this recipe is so similar to the nestle tollhouse cookie recipe, which i think is so tasty. i think the only difference is the salt and bread flour. the trick is the 350 degree temperature…lower temperature, longer time, make them chewy in the center.

- a gilbert gal like yourself
    i’ve seen you on food network twice, and my friend told me you were in her ward
    aren’t you excited about the new temple?

katskitchen says:

Jenny,
    I wanted to quick comment and let you know how much I have been enjoying your blog. I acutually just enjoyed the bbq chicken salad for lunch today and have leftovers for tomorrow! Your boys are adorable, all your pictures are great and look sooo tasty! Thanks for bloggin!
    Stacie

Brentwood Kitchen Shopper says:

Love the family pictures. I just stumbled on your blog, and like your pictures and recipes. These cookies look delicious.

Kevin says:

Those huge cookies look good! Now I am craving some chocolate chip cookies.

Patsyk says:

Welcome home! I love that picture… it reminds me of every family picture we try to take! LOL!

Those cookies look wonderful!

Tracy says:

Those cookies look wonderful. I’ve been meaning to make those cookies too but worry about what they would do to my hips!

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

I feel your pain with the family picture! I have 4 boys…needless to say we don’t take family pictures!

Meg says:

Hey Jenny!! I was wanting something good to make for dinner tonight so i decided to look at your blog! It was funny to see that you guys went up to Pinetop this Memorial day weekend! So did we!! Except we got there after the snow had already melted but what a coincidence! Anyway thanks for the recipes!
    MEGAN ARROTT

momof3crazykids says:

I made them, gave some to the ladies I visit teach and they loved them. So did my family. I used pecans instead of the walnuts. Yummy!

Jaime says:

you have such a lovely family!

Tamera says:

I came to your blog, which I love, from a friend’s blog and saw the cookie recipe. I just had to make it, however I had to leave out the nuts due to allergies(my daughter). Everyone loves them, I added vanilla extract the second time I made them. Yummy!

trish says:

I made these yesterday with my friend’s daughter…I’ll definitely be making them again! Delicious!

Kris says:

This is our new favorite cookie recipe! I think I’ve made it 3 times this week alone for my boys and friends! I cut the salt in half and (for me)they tasted even better. I also added some white chocolate chips as well. Thanks for the great recipe!

I just made these for the first time, and they were the absolute perfect treat !! A keeper, for sure. Thanks and greetings from Tirana, Albania !

[...] Levain Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Copycats recipe by Picky Palate: [...]

[...] CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES Adapted from Picky Palate  and Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line [...]

Lisa says:

Can you explain why you’ve used bread flour instead of AP flour in this recipe please?