Feb
2008

Another Superbowl Pick….Alotta Muffuletta!

Tags: ,

Dinner

One of my favorite things to much on for Superbowl is my Mom’s sandwich platter. It consists of everything from quartered PB and J’s, ham and cheese, bologna and cheese, turkey, egg salad, you name it, it’s on the platter. Any gathering we have, my sister and I beg my mom to make her traditional little sammy’s. She really is the Best sandwich maker ever.

With that said, I wanted to contribute to the sandwich platter this year and I think I’ve found it. I experimented this morning with my own version of the traditional New Orleans style sandwich, the Muffuletta. This sandwich has got it all, I love it! Don’t be scared of the olive salad, my 2 year old and I were eating ½ of it by 9:30am! If you’re looking for a good sammy to try that’s a little different, give this one a whirl, you’ll love it!

I know I talk crap about Walmart, but I do love these rolls they have. If you can find them, they are so good!

This is apparently a limited edition cheese, but If you can find it, it was so good inside. Provolone would also be great.

Here’s the yummy olive salad in the sandwich.

Alotta Muffuletta!

¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
4 Roasted garlic ciabatta Rolls, or other crusty roll of choice, split in half
1 ½ Cup olive salad (see recipe below)
24 slices of Genoa salami
8 slices Sara Lee Roasted Garlic Jack cheese or Provolone Cheese

1. Brush top and bottom slices of rolls with olive oil. On the bottom rolls layer divided olive salad, 6 slices salami and 2 slices cheese. Top with top roll.

2. Preheat grill pan or Panini press to medium high heat. When hot place sandwich in middle of pan. If using a grill pan, find a heavy pan to set on top of sandwich to compress it. Cook for about 2 minutes each side or until nice grill marks show up and cheese is melted. Cut and serve!

Easy Olive Salad

1 Cup chopped green olives with Pimento
½ Cup chopped pepperocinis
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate up to 2 days before using.

Comments

Emiline says:

Perfect for the Superbowl, but this would also be good for Mardi Gras! I’ve seen Emeril make these before. I’ve never had one, but I want to.
    I also want a panini press or a griddler.
    And ciabatta at Wal-Mart! Wow.

Hi Emiline,
    I know, these are a traditional Mardi Gras food, but I enjoyed them so much I’m making them for Superbowl Sunday! They are really tasty.

Thanks for your comment Kyle,
    For some reason, your comment isn’t showing up.

MrsPresley says:

the pannini press really makes them look super appetizing w/those grill marks :)

Kim A says:

Oh girl….I can’t wait to to try these tomorrow! I LOVE the superbowl…FOOD!

Karen says:

Impressive, I saw this on a Bobby Flay Throwdown. Yours looks fabulous! Enjoy the game!

Hey Kimmy,
    Looking forward to our party tonight! As granna would say, “Lets Mange”

Thanks Karen, Love your site by the way!

Proud Italian Cook says:

I’ll take one of those sammy’s!! I love the olive salad too! I bet they were a real hit at your party!! What color is your Le C grill pan?

Hi Marie,
    My grill pan is the kiwi green. That is definately a great pan. I remember getting it at William Sonoma on clearance for under $30 a few years ago.

I love the smell and taste of Oregano when added in some recipes.`:’

i always use Oregano and other herbs on my soup and homecooked meals”;-

oregano is a good additive on pastas and salads, oregano helps to add that tangy flavor:*”

i have a strong smell and i love the smell of Oregano. i always use it as a food additive.-*